What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Downloaded App

Harlen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded a free app, Words with Friends, from the iTunes store while my new iPad was in sleep mode. iTunes says it is downloaded but it did not appear on the iPad.

Help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A restart will usually fix this; if not then try a reset.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. Next suggestion.

Go to Settings > General > Usage. If the app does not appear under the Storage list tap Show all Apps at the bottom. Find your app, select it, and delete.

Now download it again, if you still want it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, how many apps do you have on the iPad? I believe it will only show around 140 apps/folders. If you're using all your screens, you'll have to either delete some apps, or start putting them in folders.

OP
H

Harlen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the iPad yesterday and only have 11 apps with 25.8 GB available. The problem app does not appear in the Storage list- show all. I have also downloaded two apps successfully since.

I suppose I should have realized that the iPad had to be “awake”, but on my Kindle with 3G I can request a book download on the web site at any time and it will be waiting to download the next time I turn on the Kindle. I guess I thought the iPad would be as smart.

What is puzzling is that iTunes said it was downloading so where could it have downloaded to? The iCloud?

I appreciate your help. I am pretty skilled in working with PC’s and Windows but this is my first Apple product.

Thanks.

Harlen

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad does not have to be awake to download apps, though really large ones will sometimes stop and have to be resumed later.

If the app is not showing on the Storage list, nor the iPad screens, try looking for it in the App Store. Check both the Updates page and the Purchased tab.

And when you say that iTunes shows it as downloaded, do you mean on the computer? That would not be the same as being on the iPad (though if you sync, it should rectify that).

There are settings that cause iTunes and the iPad to download automatically to the other; but those settings can be one way, both ways, or neither.

In iTunes check Preferences > Store and see if you've got auto syncing for App, Books, and Music turned on. Do the same thing in Settings > Store on the iPad. If both are turned on, then both will eventually get the app. If only one is turned don, then only that side will get automatic downloads when purchases happen on the other. Did that make sense?

OP
H

Harlen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are your questions with my replies in italics.

If the app is not showing on the Storage list, nor the iPad screens, try looking for it in the App Store. Check both the Updates page and the Purchased tab. It does not show in either place. It also says I don’t have any purchased apps to download, though the app in question was a free one.

And when you say that iTunes shows it as downloaded, do you mean on the computer? That would not be the same as being on the iPad (though if you sync, it should rectify that). I used my computer in iTunes to select the app and download it to the iPad. This worked fine for the ten other apps.

There are settings that cause iTunes and the iPad to download automatically to the other; but those settings can be one way, both ways, or neither. The automatic download setting was not turned on in iTunes (I then turned it on) on my computer but was turned on for the iPad apps.

If I could just get the store to download it again, that would solve the problem. is there a way to do that?

OP
H

Harlen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got it downloaded by requesting it in the iPad App store on the iPad itself. Thanks for your help in trying to figure this out.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, two things to try:

One: On the iPad, open the App Store. Search for the app. When you find it, what does the price box say? It should say FREE, INSTALL, or INSTALLED. {In the Purchased tab you see a small cloud icon instead of INSTALL.}

If it says anything but INSTALLED, just tap it to download again.

OR:

Two: In iTunes on the computer.

With the iPad connected and selected under the Devices list, go to the Apps Tab at the top. Scroll thorugh the apps listed to see if your app appears. If it does, make sure it has a checkmark next to it; then click Sync or Apply at the bottom right of iTunes.

Most reactions

Latest posts