What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App downloads

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I signed into app store/iTunes "bought" a free app - which was strange, droid doesn't force you to log into your account to download free apps - and I also bought Garage Band. Download failed and it told me to log into my computer iTunes acct to down loan then sync. Can I NOT download apps directly to my iPad?????

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I signed into app store/iTunes "bought" a free app - which was strange, droid doesn't force you to log into your account to download free apps - and I also bought Garage Band. Download failed and it told me to log into my computer iTunes acct to down loan then sync. Can I NOT download apps directly to my iPad?????

There’s no problem downloading an app directly to your iPad, but GarageBand is big. Are you using WiFi or 3G? I’ve never downloaded an app as big as GarageBand, so maybe other Forum members can advise? For sure, if it’s bigger than 20 MB you are not allowed to download it by 3G, even if you have an unlimited data plan....just don’t ask why!

Tim
Scotland

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

There’s no problem downloading an app directly to your iPad, but GarageBand is big. Are you using WiFi or 3G? I’ve never downloaded an app as big as GarageBand, so maybe other Forum members can advise? For sure, if it’s bigger than 20 MB you are not allowed to download it by 3G, even if you have an unlimited data plan....just don’t ask why!

Tim
Scotland

This is true. This happened to me the other day and I had to wait until I was home to hit wifi. Something I learned new!

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all...lesson learned...don't download big apps direct to iPad!

OP
L

Lizard king

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just looked at good reader...I was looking for an appn to manage sheet music...(the other main reason I bought an iPad). It looks like good reader might be all I need to manage that ad well.

Thanks!

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About the big downloads. Why doesn't the App store just tell you up front that it's a large file and you need to use wifi or iTunes to download it, instead of starting the download and letting you sit there waiting until it times out. This is especially annoying when it's a large update, as they don't tell you how large it is, so you sit there waiting till it times out so that you can download the other smaller updates.

End of rant.:)

labronmorgan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help as well, I received my new ipad 2 yesterday. This morning I chose to take the free espn xl app, it will not transfer from itunes to my ipad? what am i doing wrong. thanks for your help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need help as well, I received my new ipad 2 yesterday. This morning I chose to take the free espn xl app, it will not transfer from itunes to my ipad? what am i doing wrong. thanks for your help.

Try to download it directly to your iPad. Go to the iPad's native 'App Store', find the app and then install it directly from there. It may help....but let us know if there's still a problem

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions