What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini with retina observation- it is ice cold

catnap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an observation - my mini is always ice cold to the touch when it's off and I pick it up. Weird. Is this normal for Ipads?
None of my android tablets are as cold.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it does have a metal back. ;)

I have put a skin on the back of my iPad for that very reason - it was very cold to the touch, especially here in western New York State in December! With the skin, it's not so cold...

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The aluminum back is great for letting the heat inside escape out into the air. Passive cooling. I always put something around my iPads if only to keep it from getting all scratched up. Making it not feel cool to touch is a bonus.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In a coolish environment (under 80ºF and no direct sunlight) metal tends to feel cool. It's a good conductor of heat and draws the heat out of your fingers; making it feel cool, even though it's at or near room temp. Plastic on the other hand does not conduct heat well, and tends to feel more neutral at room temperatures.

The iPad being cool enough to feel cool is good. It means it doesn't' have a heat dissipation problem. On the other hand, if you play a graphics intense game for a while I believe you'll find it makes a nice hand warmer. If it does not, then it will be the first iPad not to warm up at least a bit under heavy load.

Most Android tablets also warm up nicely with heavy use.

carp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too found the case to be very cool to the touch, it was not really a problem except when reading when i would find my finger tips getting quite cold, not a problem any more since i bought an Invision smart case so now it is warm to the touch and more importantly protected

veesubotee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just an FYI, which you can take or leave: have read quite a few articles about prolonging battery lifetime (not time between charges), which state that heat is the enemy of the battery. They tend to be negative toward cases having higher insulating qualities. So, I'm happy to feel that cold back panel.

For those who leave their pads in a case while charging--especially bad. Staples has a nice adjustable desk stand for $10, perfect for allowing the heat of charging to escape.

V

Most reactions

Latest posts