What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Gain?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, I know---folks nowadays refer to it as a mic, but that makes me think of Micky Mouse or Micky Mantle!

Anyway, is there a way of INDEPENDENTLY controling the built-in (or external) mike gain independently of the speaker (or headphone) volume? If so, how do I do it?

Tnx.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No.

Some recording apps will let you adjust the mic gain, but the Apple's apps and the system use some kind of automatic gain that tries to compensate for enviroment noise and such. There is no system setting or adjustment.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, dawgone it! I am using a ham radio app called echolink and really need to control the gain.

Tnx for the response---

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, dawgone it! I am using a ham radio app called echolink and really need to control the gain.

Tnx for the response---

Understood. I have that app as well, and there is no way to adjust the audio gain (other than talking closer to the mic). You can also try external mics and see if they work better. I've used my AirPods, and they are not terrible. You have to switch to them after opening the app though, or your using the devices built in mic.

In case you hadn't realised it, you can use the EchoTest station to check your transmit and recieve levels/gain.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, including me, you, and SciFan, we have at least 3 HAMs on the forum. Maybe we should start our own thread.

Last edited:

Most reactions