What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Sells Under a Million Surface Tablets

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Free gift????

Right, I officially hate Apple until I get my free MacBook Air. I won't hold out for an MBP. Wouldn't want to be greedy.

One thing is certain. The tablet market is going to be very interesting over the next few months.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Problem is the people who claim a product is good but suffering from a lack of exposure or people just don't get it yet don't get what people want. When that happens someone (like Apple) tend to react and change things that work well and look good into the very thing people didn't want in the first place.

I worry about companies emulating this new Microsoft OS it shouldn't be the future, but stands a good chance of becoming so.

I'm sure this is as confusing as can be...

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No surprise...apps are what makes a tablet work.u can have 3 full USB ports , full office ,anything...but if u don't have apps that do the basic functions for the casual users the thing won't sell...
And those who need full office and USB ports will use a laptop with a full keyboard anyway.they won't prefer the touch pad of surface over a real keypad.
If surface launched with a ton of apps or if it was reverse compatible with all windows app then the story migh have been a bit different.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
It seems to be the mark of success in America at the moment. Google, Facebook, Microsoft and now Apple, have had their fair share of haters.

If these companies were Japanese, their CEOs would be national heroes. I wish America could be proud of their success stories, instead of somehow embarrassed by them. [/rant]

I agree with you except for one big difference between us and Japan: their CEO wouldn't make 800x what the average worker makes like our CEOs do. People hate that. Just saying.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Free gift????

Right, I officially hate Apple until I get my free MacBook Air. I won't hold out for an MBP. Wouldn't want to be greedy.

One thing is certain. The tablet market is going to be very interesting over the next few months.

As in gift from family or friend. In other words, maybe they are not able to buy one which is why they hate them...

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
I agree with you except for one big difference between us and Japan: their CEO wouldn't make 800x what the average worker makes like our CEOs do. People hate that. Just saying.

Oh well, that's the way of the world... #1peecenters. ;'(

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to be the mark of success in America at the moment. Google, Facebook, Microsoft and now Apple, have had their fair share of haters.

If these companies were Japanese, their CEOs would be national heroes. I wish America could be proud of their success stories, instead of somehow embarrassed by them. [/rant]

I don't think people hate big companies just because they're big. What generally happens is, when companies get successful, they get enough power to do creepy things and get away with it more easily, because of their money, lawyers, market sway, lobbying power, etc. At least that's what I hate, lol.

I think a lot of businesses would like to do the same creepy things, but they just aren't powerful enough to, yet. If you asked me my impression of every company you named, I can give you specific reasons why I think they're successful, as well as creepy things they've done.

In the news in the past week or so, for instance, is evidence of how Apple and other companies colluded to not hire each others' employees. I'd find that kind of behavior creepy among any company, no matter the size. It just wouldn't have developed as easily among smaller businesses. That doesn't mean that I don't like Apple products; it just means I don't think that making good products means you can do creepy things and all is OK. In my book, success doesn't mean you're allowed to do whatever you want, whether it's businesses or people.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
People are always saying Apple is so expensive. The Surface costs the same as the 64GB wifi iPad at $699.00 and that may only be the "starting" price. Surface with Windows 8 will probably cost even more. I was looking at Dell tablets online the starting price is 579.00 for their higher end model; however, when you add Office, the much needed adapter, etc., that thing was pricing out at approximately $1,100.00.

It seems as though the windows computer companies will advertise at a really low price without any customizations to attract customers and they just focus on that price. Apple's starting prices seem to be more realistic to me. I don't miss windows at all, I might do Windows with Parallel on my computer one day, that's about it. I think people just love to hate Apple sometimes. ;)

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Apple is in fact good value, but many people look at the specs and not the design superiority and feel apple gadgets are not good value. I have seen clones of MacBook Air from samsung and Asus and they cost the same yet they have ms operating system. Why anyone would pay the same or more for MacBook Air clones is beyond me. Ms surface is an example of how the competition got it wrong, and goes to show apple got it right with the iPad, with good price, various specs (sim card/ various storage) and a great os and iTunes infrastructure

London, UK

Most reactions