What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Sells Under a Million Surface Tablets

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Last week there was a news story doing the rounds about a survey that said that Apple was “over†and teens were more interested in Microsoft’s Surface tablet than anything Apple might produce. At the time it seemed more than a little strange, and one wondered where they got their figures from, and following the news today that Microsoft sold less than one million Surface tablets over the holiday period, it seems even stranger! iDownload Blog says that the woeful figure falls way short of the two million units that UBS analyst Brent Thill predicted would be sold back in December. Now, with these much lower results expected, Thill is saying that the Surface “is a consumer device with sales suffering from the difficult iPad compare and narrow distribution,†in a note to investors today. As iDownload Blog says, maybe things will pick up for the Surface when Surface Pro is released later in January, as unlike the RT, it can run all Windows apps, including Windows 8 apps.

[FONT=&quot]Source: [/FONT]Microsoft (barely) sells a million Surface units

Last edited by a moderator:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We just got one work the other day because our software has to support tablet clients and windows 8. In fairness, I'm not used to it so some of the quirkiness is to be expected. That being said.....oh gosh..... No go deal. I don't need anymore time with it to determine that it's not for me. It's confused, unsure, weird. Everything that apple devices are not. Apple and possibly others are gonna gain more home market share because of this. That's my take on it. And I'm NOT an apple geek or apple apologizer either.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Surface RT was a bust from the gate. The Surface Pro, which runs a full-up version of windows 8, has a better chance. But it doesn't compete with ipad, it competes with ultrabooks. I will consider one if they can get the feature set where I need it to be. It has to be clearly better than what I already have.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The RT was limited on what it could do. Coupled that with the quarkiness of Windows 8 and you had a recipe for poor sales so this doesn't surprise me.

The Pro seems to be the better pick and will probably boost sales for Microsoft but time will tell on that.

mehtarohit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Surface RT was a bust from the gate. The Surface Pro, which runs a full-up version of windows 8, has a better chance. But it doesn't compete with ipad, it competes with ultrabooks. I will consider one if they can get the feature set where I need it to be. It has to be clearly better than what I already have.

Windows 8 pro will be useful for us. Otherwise iPad is best as a tablet device.

Surface RT version haven't much effect on Apple iPad selling.

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i never liked the windows 8 on a laptop/pc and it was the same on the surface when i saw it in the shop before christmas. but the worst thing i find about the windows surface is that it advertises as a 32 GB storage when in reality you have half that for storing your own stuff, the other half is used by the bloated windows OS. so why cant MS not advertise it as a 16 GB given thats what the buyers get to use for apps/music/photos, why lie and mislead :mad::mad:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i never liked the windows 8 on a laptop/pc and it was the same on the surface when i saw it in the shop before christmas. but the worst thing i find about the windows surface is that it advertises as a 32 GB storage when in reality you have half that for storing your own stuff, the other half is used by the bloated windows OS. so why cant MS not advertise it as a 16 GB given thats what the buyers get to use for apps/music/photos, why lie and mislead :mad::mad:

Apple does likewise. It's an industry practice, not specific to any hardware maker.

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Surface prices are too high! I believe if anyone want to rock the ipad market, it needs to be slightly cheaper than the ipad! Some Android tablets do hold their own though, I have both android tablet and an Ipad, one isnt better than the other, I use the Ipad mainly though, but get frustrated at certain things it cant do compared to my driod. As for surface, too expensive period!

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless Microsoft is willing to keep pumping money into it's losing Surface tablet/computer, it will be gone by next Christmas.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Because... 32GB sells more tablets. ;)

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People are always saying Apple is so expensive. The Surface costs the same as the 64GB wifi iPad at $699.00 and that may only be the "starting" price. Surface with Windows 8 will probably cost even more. I was looking at Dell tablets online the starting price is 579.00 for their higher end model; however, when you add Office, the much needed adapter, etc., that thing was pricing out at approximately $1,100.00.

It seems as though the windows computer companies will advertise at a really low price without any customizations to attract customers and they just focus on that price. Apple's starting prices seem to be more realistic to me. I don't miss windows at all, I might do Windows with Parallel on my computer one day, that's about it. I think people just love to hate Apple sometimes. ;)

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems to be the mark of success in America at the moment. Google, Facebook, Microsoft and now Apple, have had their fair share of haters.

If these companies were Japanese, their CEOs would be national heroes. I wish America could be proud of their success stories, instead of somehow embarrassed by them. [/rant]

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
It seems to be the mark of success in America at the moment. Google, Facebook, Microsoft and now Apple, have had their fair share of haters.

If these companies were Japanese, their CEOs would be national heroes. I wish America could be proud of their success stories, instead of somehow embarrassed by them. [/rant]

Yeah, they hate Apple until they get something from them as a free gift lol.

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts