What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft office for iPad to be launched in February 2012

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually it isn't. You should be planning a Microsoft exit strategy. One of the hats I wear is "Futurist", and after reading Microsoft's SEC filings and doing some forecasting I've come to the conclusion that Microsoft is headed for Bankruptcy. I'd provide a link, but it would go to my own site, and the forum moderators freak out about things like that, so I'll just suggest you search on the term "Microsoft Death Watch" with the warning that there is about 100,000 words withs links to further documentation.

I get regular visits from IP addresses in Redmond. It appears that someone there is interested.

On the iPad there isn't anything that will handle things like "track changes" which is a nuisance. At least that I've seen.

Wayne

I would not worry too much about Microsoft. No need to plan an exit strategy just yet. Not sure what you actually know, but searching the web for this 'death watch' says very little because it is the web and that is a great place to learn just about nothing of value, smiley. When MS is truly in trouble, I'll know. The world will know.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Microsoft Office is over priced and under powered. Think "LADA"

(Snippy Doodle)

I would not waste money buying Microsoft Office. It is wildly overpriced. You can buy Word Perfect Office for about $50.00 if you look around, which isn't bad. Libre Office is a free download. That is the price you should go for.

Wayne

I disagree. I have been with Word since the very first DOS version. Every upgrade brings features (I do not use some features so I no longer blindly upgrade) some find useful. There is very little I cannot do with Office in general and Word specifically. I create complex documents and I often edit huge documents. For example 1,000 pages with drawings. Never had a serious issue because I know how Word thinks.

I find that people that hate Office/Word hate Microsoft or they hate paying for applications or they simply do not know how to use Word. Some of the things Word does is by design and sometimes, Word does exactly what the user asked it to do by virtue of not setting some option. There is always a reason why Word does what it does. Sometimes a user can't figure something out or bother to learn a few things, Word "Sucks."

Free does not make a WP better, it only makes it free. Experience is what makes Word work and you actually do happen to be e-talking with someone who knows.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:
I disagree. I have been with Word since the very first DOS version. Every upgrade brings features (I do not use some features so I no longer blindly upgrade) some find useful. There is very little I cannot do with Office in general and Word specifically. I create complex documents and I often edit huge documents. For example 1,000 pages with drawings. Never had a serious issue because I know how Word thinks.

I find that people that hate Office/Word hate Microsoft or they hate paying for applications or they simply do not know how to use Word. Some of the things Word does is by design and sometimes, Word does exactly what the user asked it to do by virtue of not setting some option. There is always a reason why Word does what it does. Sometimes a user can't figure something out or bother to learn a few things, Word "Sucks."

Free does not make a WP better, it only makes it free. Experience is what makes Word work and you actually do happen to be e-talking with someone who knows.

Word! (pun intended)

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

dMog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry all you iworks fans outt here microsoft office IS the industry standard and moe peopel use that suite than any other office program combined for good reason..i will seriously look at office for ipad when it is released as have yet to find anything that even comes close to what the pc suite does on my home computer and my notebook.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages is nice for what it is but it could be so much more aesthetic and simplistic. Easier controls and functionality. That's what I'm waiting for in ios ms office. Granted the last two releases have peaked in complexities, they still set the bar.

Need easier tab functions
Better texts manipulation
And need to de bug icloud. Device to device security is highly compromised right now.

wayneborean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Office components on the iPad? If so, how do they compare to Office on the desktop, iWorks on the desktop, or iWorks on the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a two year old thread, started well before Office for iOS was available. I seen a good Office/iWorks/Office Compatible comparison thread for a while. It wouldn't hurt to start a new one if you're interested.

I have the Office apps on my iPad, but haven't done anything with them except view a couple documents. The 'admittedly minor' hurdle of getting a Microsoft user name and unlocking the apps has been enough to keep me away; because I don't have much need for a word processor, and Pages fills those few needs easily.

Most reactions

Latest posts