What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft loses $2.5 billion/year by keeping Office off the iPad

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
​ office-for-ipad.jpg

If you’re wondering why we haven’t seen an Office version specially tailored for the iPad yet, Morgan Stanley’s Adam Holt might have the answer you are looking for. And it’s not a particularly pretty one. According to him, it’s precisely Microsoft who is against bringing the suite to the most popular tablet yet.

And here lies the paradox. The company might not be able to pull off the same strategy for a long time. Apple’s mobile operating system holds an important percent of the global market share, one that can’t be easily ignored. Also, if the Windows 8 and Windows RT powered tablets will continue the imposed trend of underachieving, Microsoft might have to review its strategy. The reluctance to bring the Office suite to the iPad is costing the company, according to Holt, more than $2.5 billion a year.

If Microsoft will ever decide to submerge and agree to design an Office version for the iOS, it might do so by developing its own app instead of creating a native one, thus bypassing the 30% Apple takes off for iOS subscription content.

The Wall Street Journal’s Digits blog also comments on the Office paradox. According to the article, the company risks compromising the future growth of the suite if it keeps going down this road and insists on “keeping the umbilical cord with Windows intactâ€.

Despite these articles and notes, it has been rumored for some time that Microsoft has begun working on a Office version of the iOS. Back in December, a mention of the iOS Office suite was briefly spotted on the official Microsoft website.

Source: AppleInsider

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats the same as saying why hasn't Apple made Windows versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote yet?

The same reason why there is no Office for IOS, its the competition so why feed your loss?

If Microsoft make a IOS version of Office they are calling defeat and their tablet is dead thats why they wont make it.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thats the same as saying why hasn't Apple made Windows versions of Pages, Numbers and Keynote yet?

The same reason why there is no Office for IOS, its the competition so why feed your loss?

If Microsoft make a IOS version of Office they are calling defeat and their tablet is dead thats why they wont make it.

I agree. Plus, there are plenty of good office solutions for the iPad already. QuickOffice pro has been serving me for a while now with no complaints. Sure, it's not as full featured and does have some limitations. But, I get it would satisfy most users. We don't need an official office app, IMO.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, until iPad has a digitizing screen in addition to a touch screen, a Windows machine will always be in my future anyway. So MS might as well keep Office off iOS, AFAIK. OTOH, if Apple puts a digitzing screen on an iPad, then a new world of possbilities open up to it. They could even all it the iPad Pro. It would come with a Wacom styled pen, a digitizing screen (with retina), 128 GB, and be targeted to business/professonal users. They would need to ensure there is a writing app with an infinitely scrollable page for writing, much like OneNote. This I would buy right this moment if it existed.

I know folks are going to mention using a stylus...but I have tried this and find it to be a very poor substitute for my needs compared to a convertable tablet with a digitizing screen&pen. But my current convertablet tablet weights more than I would like it to (it is a very powerful machine, though, and I do like it). I feel tech should serve my needs and my needs say I need a very light device to present on to a room full of people. A 4 lb tablet and the surrounding gear needed is just too much. A Surface Pro is more to my liking, but frankly I'm not impressed. Lenovo new Tablet 2 is an option, however.

Somehow, I think MS is going to pull this off....Remember, MS has come from behind time and time again. Remember when they got caught off guard with the Internet. The reprogrammed their DNA then. Now they are doing it again. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. They know how to leverage Windows and Office to their advantage. They are sleeping giants over there, though. I do wish they would sleep a bit less. :)

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing is even if they do end up doing an Office app will it be fully like the Window's version or will it be a rehashed version of it? If it's the latter than you might as well stick with iOS's version.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing is even if they do end up doing an Office app will it be fully like the Window's version or will it be a rehashed version of it? If it's the latter than you might as well stick with iOS's version.

Fully like the windows version? No way. Code is too complex to reproduce to be just like the windows version. But they could make it more compatible with the windows version than all of their competitors offering. They can also develop translators for the windows version of office to real the files from the iOS version.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Fully like the windows version? No way. Code is too complex to reproduce to be just like the windows version. But they could make it more compatible with the windows version than all of their competitors offering. They can also develop translators for the windows version of office to real the files from the iOS version.

Other than some formatting and complicated stuff, the office solutions out there are pretty compatible as it is from what I've found. I wouldn't do it if I was Microsoft. Or, if they do, charge an extremely high price for the app at least. That's what apple would do. :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Other than some formatting and complicated stuff, the office solutions out there are pretty compatible as it is from what I've found. I wouldn't do it if I was Microsoft. Or, if they do, charge an extremely high price for the app at least. That's what apple would do. :)

Well, the iWork apps are 10$ each. I'm sure MS knows this. But frankly, I'd rather have the MS version of office for iOS because that can built translators to drive to zero any reformatting and such. They know more about office than any third party and they can ensure the best compatibility. Of course, if they do release an app, then they drive those other app developers out of business, and that is NOT a good thing, IMO.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, the iWork apps are 10$ each. I'm sure MS knows this. But frankly, I'd rather have the MS version of office for iOS because that can built translators to drive to zero any reformatting and such. They know more about office than any third party and they can ensure the best compatibility. Of course, if they do release an app, then they drive those other app developers out of business, and that is NOT a good thing, IMO.

Definitely a more complete experience with the real office app. But, for many users I still think the solutions out there already will work just fine. Curious to see how this goes and what MS would charge for a full office suite on the iPad.

Most reactions