What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Message/SMS Apps

Peter416

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched, but to no avail, to find a 'cross platform' App that I can use to send and receive messages from my new (and quite uperb !) iPad to Android devices. Can anyone point me in the right direction please ? As an example : 'WhatsApp'

Many thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're using iOS5 on the iPad then there's the iMessage app that comes with the operating system. That will send either iMessages or SMS messages from the iPad to other mobile platforms.

Tim

OP
P

Peter416

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both very much - sorry I did not know I can send sms/messages using the iMessage to an android phone - am learning fast !!

AAA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

you said that we can send SMS using iMessage app? but I can't do that on my ipad2 iOS 5.0.1
could you please advise how to do that?

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
I thought that iMessage on the iPad could only send to other iMessage programs. SMS would require a cell signal and cost $$$. Im referring to wifi only here.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
If you're using iOS5 on the iPad then there's the iMessage app that comes with the operating system. That will send either iMessages or SMS messages from the iPad to other mobile platforms.

Tim

I have not been able to send regular SMS messages from my iPad. Is there something I am missing?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gus69 said:
iMessage only works with Idevices, you enable it in the settings...

Ok, that's what I thought.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

nyc2sd30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can download any number of apps that integrate with Google voice and you can send/receive texts plus make/receive phone calls. I personally use Talkatone.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Phildave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
nyc2sd30 said:
You can download any number of apps that integrate with Google voice and you can send/receive texts plus make/receive phone calls. I personally use Talkatone.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hi,
That sounded just what I have been looking for - until I say it was for the USA/Canada. Does anyone know of a similar app for the UK ?

Thanks
Phil

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twistr said:

I used that as well. Works great w iPad as you can text people not on IOS. You can text people on wifi not sure about 3G. Probably so!!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2using iPF

Most reactions