What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max of three iCloud accounts created on one IOS device

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,
When I was working on the tutorials for my app, I ran into the issue where one individual device can only create three iCloud accounts. (I ran out of mine creating test accounts for the vids) After that you get an error message stating your device is no longer eligible. Has anyone found a way to reset this count or read anywhere where Apple are intending to remove or raise the limitation?

The issue as I see it is, say you create your three accounts, Wipe your iPad then sell the iPad to the next person...that person can't create an iCloud account (on the iPad) even though you've restored it. They need another IOS device with one of the three "slots" left open. I can't help but think it'll hurt resale value of the iPad.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Dale
Moderation Notice:​ This post has been edited by IPF staff in accordance with the Forum Rules

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems reasonable to me that Apple is going to limit multiple accounts, so that people will pay for extra storage if needed. In your case, I'd contact Apple and see whether they'll allow a workaround. I'd do similarly if I ended up with a previously owned device that couldn't create an account.

OP
I

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at the time (which was about 3 weeks ago) I called apple and they said I was essentially out of luck (no reset). Was hoping someone might have heard otherwise lately. Not a real problem for me as I have multiple IOS devices, but if you just had an iPad you bought second hand it could be a real pain for someone.

I asked too if there was an option to buy another one, which they said no too as well.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In that case, I guess you're stuck using the existing accounts. I guess that would be a workaround with a device that was previously owned -- keep the existing accounts with the device and just create new ones with new devices. Might not be ideal because you'd inherit the account(s) as the previous owner named them, but hopefully among three accounts there's one reasonable ID to use. The owner would have to empty the account before passing it on, of course.

Last edited:
OP
I

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I imagine people wouldn't be too keen to hand over old ID's as your email, calendar etc is hooked into it. I guess I'll just keep hoping they alter their policy at some point.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the owner would have to wipe the account before handing over, I figure. Probably not three accounts with all personal stuff, but I think the situation would be limited anyway by the obsolescence of devices. We'll see whether it becomes a prob; iCloud is relatively new.

OP
I

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
agree its still a bit early to be a big problem, but as time goes on it could become an issue.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, could be. We'll see what develops with Apple and how others handle cloud storage limits.

Mystii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'd say this is definitely a problem. We got my mother a new ipad for Christmas and she gave her iPad 1 to my sister-in-law. She's trying now to set it up. We got her an apple Id (a new one and validated it with Apple) of her own but when she tries to download anything from the App Store, she gets the message that the device was no longer eligible. I don't understand why she can't use this completely reset iPad with her account!

Motorider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here. I just bought my ipad 4 used from a guy on Craigslist. I have had it a few days and I love it. Now that I'm getting things set up I have found out that I can not setup an iCloud account as the max of 3 has been reached. So what, I will never be able to utilize that feature?

Boy apple had their heads up their butts with that one. I can't even buy an iCloud account much less set one up on this device. This is why I was sceptic of buying an apple product. I have an android device and this type of thing is not a problem.

Wouldn't it just be easier to allow each user to have say 2 accounts and those accounts could be synced up with any I device? Why the hardware limit? I may never purchase another I device again just for this reason. I bought used to try it before I bought one for the kids and wife. I guess that will be apples loss.

Rant off

I think everyone with this problem should post it here. Eventually maybe sticky it and send to apple.

Thanks for any help that can be provided

Loving disgruntled ipad user

Last edited:

JenH54321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried today to set up an iPhone and it comes up with this error. So basically can you not sell on a phone anymore second hand because of this reason? Very frustrating!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This thread is two years old, so I don't know if the initial issue even exists anymore.

When you want to sell an iOS device, you need to turn off Find My iPhone/iPad in the iCloud settings, then use the Erase All Content and settings option in Settings > General > Reset. It will ask you for you iCloud and/or Apple ID, then restore the iOS device to factory conditions. When it is done, you will be at the "Hello" screen that you first see on a new iPad (or after a major update).

This is also the condition you need to buy a used iPhone in. Always make sure any second hand iOS device you buy has been cleared this way.

The feature that prevents you from selling someone else your iOS device with your iCloud account still associated with it is called Activation Lock. It's meant to prevent thefts, by making them unprofitable. However, you do have a way around it, as I just described. Apple is not trying to keep you from selling your iOS device, or buying a used one.

Inconvenient as it may seem, Apple was under a lot of pressure to create a feature like this. The theft of iPhones was ridiculous. Also, most other smart phone manufacturers (including Google's Android) now have similar features that make stealing mobile devices less attractive. And if you forget to clear the phone, or make sure the phone you bought was cleared, they have exactly the same issues. You can't use the phone as your own.

As for not being able to have more than three iCloud accounts on a single device, that's the first I've heard of the issue. I must have missed this thread the first time around (it's almost three years old). Other than the selling/buying issue you've mentioned, I see no reason why you'd want more than one, or two at most, iCloud accounts set up on a device.

And you should never have two iCloud accounts on one device just so you can buy/sell it. That is ridiculous, and against Apple's user agreement to boot. You're iCloud account(s) is yours. Giving or selling your user ID and password to someone else is against the user agreement of just about every online account/service in existence.

JenH54321

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi thAnkyou for your reply. It was my dads phone and he bought it second hand. So I'm thinking it's never been cleared the way you say it should have. I'm trying to set the phone up for my grandad now but got stopped at the last part when it can up this message. I might try loading my dads info back on and deleting things you suggested before restoring the phone again.

So I don't want more than one iCloud account set up (just a new one for my grandad) but guess the old ones it has had on there need removing properly as restoring the phone doesn't do this. It's very confusing but I shall try again in the morning.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my message

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If three iCloud accounts were created and activated on an iDevice (iPad, iPhone), it's not possible to create and activate another one. That's not the same as iCloud's activation lock. Apple just wanted to prevent people from using loads of free iCloud storage space by creating many accounts. The original issue still exists.

If this message appears on the iPad or iPhone, this simply means that the new owner has to activate the new iCloud account on a different Apple device he owns, and then sets up the account/ID on the device which can't create and activate an account any more.

Last edited:

Most reactions