What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mavericks iBooks and iPad

chinajon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I upgraded to OSX 10.9 Maericks, I got iBooks for Mac. Cool. But now that I see books in my Mac outside of iTunes, I don't see how to put books into the iPad. I do see that purchased books have a little cloud download button, but I don't see any way to get books into the iPad from Mac iBooks.

Any insights?

Thanks

CJ

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I upgraded to OSX 10.9 Maericks, I got iBooks for Mac. Cool. But now that I see books in my Mac outside of iTunes, I don't see how to put books into the iPad. I do see that purchased books have a little cloud download button, but I don't see any way to get books into the iPad from Mac iBooks. Any insights? Thanks CJ
To get the books into iBooks on your iPad, open the iBooks app and tap the collections button at the top left of the iBooks home screen., select purchased books from the offered menu in the pop up. All books purchased by you and not downloaded to iBooks on your iPad will appear onscreen, with the cloud symbol at the top right of each book. Tap on the cloud to download the book to your iBooks app.

image-3049041698.jpg

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Plus, if you have books on your Mac that came from somewhere other than the iTunes store you can drag them to your iPad (and iPhone) just like you do for music. Select the book(s), drag them from your file manager (finder?? - I'm not Mac aware yet) into your iTunes, then you can select books in iTunes and drag the books you want to your iPad/iPhone when the phone is plugged in (I always plug my iPad into my computer as well, but I think if it is on the same wifi it will receive but may need to be charging).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It looks like the iBooks Library function of iTunes have moved to the OS X version of iBooks. Add, delete, and purchase your books using this app; though you still have the choice of purchasing them through iTunes.

Syncing of iBooks to iOS devices is still in OS X iTunes. Connect your iPad, select it, and go to the Books tab. You'll see you listed books and the same old choices of syncing all or selected books.

People have been complaining that OS X iTunes is too complicated, trying to do too many things at once. I suspect that providing iBooks as a separate app but leaving syncing in iTunes is Apple's first step in breaking out all the features. I expect that the stores and iOS syncing features to stay in one app while the various player/reader apps will become separate, while still providing access to their specific store sections.

Maybe be the all store function will be removed from iTunes when there is an app for each type of media.

Kind of like it is in iOS.

Of course, I'm just speculating.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts