What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

matte or Glossy screen protector?

artemisblossom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a screen protector for my ipad so I went to Future shop and the only thing they had in stock was a package of 2 screen protectors one glossy and one matte. I can't remember the brand name. I am not sure which one to attempt to put on the ipad, which ones do you guys prefer, the matte or the glossy? and why?

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had several conversations with many apple store employees and they all suggested not to use the screen protector as it may reduce the screen's sensitivity. I have also seen some horrible application of these products with bubble and shadows. I will never place a piece of plastic on my ipad screen.
My grand parents covered their furniture in clear plastic to protect the fabric and it look and felt awful l but hay they had clean furniture..what a concept.

Wa4vif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.lubesnmore.com
I first put a Zagg Invisible Shield matte protector on but it distorted the video too much for my liking. This weekend, I replaced it with a clear protector. The video is much better but you do see the smudges from fingerprints a little more. I have not been out in bright sunlight since the change. Hope this helps.

wmkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wanted to buy a screen protector for my ipad so I went to Future shop and the only thing they had in stock was a package of 2 screen protectors one glossy and one matte. I can't remember the brand name. I am not sure which one to attempt to put on the ipad, which ones do you guys prefer, the matte or the glossy? and why?

I've always used a Zagg InvisiShield on my iPods/iPhones. Never had issues with sensitivity or distortions or fingerprints under them, etc. On my iPad, I haven't bought a screen protector/film, but I recently ordered a "matte" finish one from Power Support. The discussions on the iPad section of the Apple Support forums said some good stuff about them in some instances. The application of it seems to be easier than the Zagg film and it seems to do what I really want it for-- to reduce the glare from the screen since I use it in an office building most of the time. I think the iPad screen is excellent, but the glare in an office environment w/ florescent lighting is horrible.

Protection...I'm not as concerned about since it stays in the Apple case at all times. With this anti-glare film, it'll offer enough protection from scratches also...so hopefully this won't be a $30 mistake!

toasty_hoodie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using a RadTech Anti Glare. I would go without, but the glare makes it really hard to see sometimes

nushieldguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you plan to take your iPad outside I would recommend the NuShield DayVue film. It is very easy to install and will not leave bubbles. It is the only film that cuts the glare without distorting the image. This page shows a comparison of the DayVue versus antiglare or no film at all when you go outdoors. Nushield

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had several conversations with many apple store employees and they all suggested not to use the screen protector as it may reduce the screen's sensitivity.
Apparently no one at the Apple store has ever actually used a Zagg Invisible Shield. I have had one on my iPad since Day One with absolutely no issues. You have to take your time putting it on and use plenty of the supplied liquid. It can take a day or so for all the bubbles to disappear, but eventually they do since the material actually "breathes".

AlunReynolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Screen protector

One I certainly wouldn't recommend is a mirror finish one. Having had one on my htc hd2 I thought it would look good on my iPad and it did. That is until I switched the iPad on. Still only my reflection staring up at me. Unless I turned the screen brightness right up :)

JAILBIRD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a Power Support Anti-Glare cover on my iPhone 3g and it worked great for me. I put a Zagg invisible shield on my iPhone 4 and was thoroughly disappointed. The textured finish looked horrible and it had an almost sticky feeling. I pulled it off after only a few days. Instead of the Zagg, take a look at Best Skin Ever. They are much clearer and smoother, also way less expensive. I've had the BSE on my iPhone for a few month and I've been happy. I just ordered one for the iPad under the tree with my name on it.

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am with 1991-C4 on this, I have had my iPad since this past August and put the Zagg Invisible Shield on it without any issues and it has worked great ever since. I do see a few tiny scratches on it, but hey, it is on the shield not my actual iPad screen. It is the regular shield, not the anti-glare one.
Chiky

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The reason I don't use zagg it because its tacky (sticky). During gameplay or games that require swiping is mostly when I find it annoying. The quality is great same as iPhone version...just makes for a different feel. I think it's a "you love it or hate it" screen guard.:D

lightspeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The real difference between Matte and Clear screen protectors

You wanted to know the real differences between Matte and Clear screen protectors (apart from the obvious ones
smile.gif
) - these differences apply to most good makes of screen protector...

Clear screen protectors are the most common, so if it doesn't say chances are it's clear. These can be as reflective as the screen, but usually slightly less. The image quality should not be affected but is possible on cheaper screen protectors. They will show fingerprints, although perhaps not as bad as the screen itself. If you just want to protect against scratches and not notice the screen protector then this is for you.

Anti-glare (or Matte) screen protectors are usually more expensive (they're certainly more expensive to manufacture!) but they're not necessarily better. A good Anti-glare screen protector will seriously reduce reflection from sunlight and lamps but will obviously loose the shinny glass appearance of most screens. Good anti-glare screen protectors also allow your fingers/stylus to slide more easily over the screen, they feel great to use and will noticeably reduce fingerprints & grease marks. However, Anti-glare screen protectors will slightly reduce image clarity/sharpness or brightness of the screen - this is inevitable but again the effects are reduced (and are sometimes hardly noticeable) on better brands.

I hope that's helped those of you unsure to decide on which type of screen protector to go for
xyxthumbs.gif

Personally, I prefer the clear - you don't realise it's there but each to their own.

Thanks,
Ed

Most reactions

Latest posts