What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Master iPad Pro Accessories Thread

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can use the smart keyboard in your lap, but it is far from a laptop like experience. You only have one angle and the screen is top heavy compared to the keyboard. Your legs need to be almost perfectly level for it to be even half way stable and comfortable.

I almost never do it. If I can't find a flat surface to work with I take the keyboard off and use the touch keyboard, all hunched up over the device on my lap, or holding it and typing one handed. Not something you want to do for long.

But I also have the iPhone 7 plus. As long as there is not a lot of typing involved, or I can get by with the mosty good dictation, then I'm likely to use it when a table or other surface is not available.

Yesterday I was in Best Buy (don't live near Apple Store) and went to the Apple section to see if they had a keyboard case to try. They had a 9.7 with one installed and I tried it--didn't mind typing on it (and since i touch type found that was decent) but ran into the space key issue I've read about various places--that seems to occur after using the keyboard for awhile. I'm sure this one has taken lots of abuse but it still made me cautious.

For the time being I decided to stick with my logitech BT keyboard which pairs instantly on turning on. Still doesn't work for the lap but if I slow down a bit with the Zugu case that allows me to set any angle and is very stable lap typing works fine. I may at some point buy the Apple Magic keyboard because the Logitech (which i got on a good deal) has less comfortable round keys anf I sometimes type quite a lot. My old Apple keyboard just got exceptionally cranky about pairing--sometimes refusing.

metalcyclone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Today I picked up an Urban Armor Gear case for my iPad Pro 9.7". It's pretty good for the price: $59.99 at BestBuy (where I got it), in Cobolt. They also had it on sale for about $55.00 in Black but I wanted the Cobolt for the extra 5 bucks... I have the pretty much identical case for my iPad Mini 4 but in Red and I love it! Been using it on the Mini 4 for about three months now. (The one for the Mini 4 i got on Amazon for I think twenty something BTW...)

Some of the things I like about this case for the 9.7" Pro are that it closes securely and nice and tight with a magnetic latch, its got perfect cutouts for all ports and speakers, it's thin and light while still providing rugged protection, and it even has a strap for the Apple Pencil. I'm a big fan of UAG cases which I have numerous ones for my iPhone and LG V20. I also had them for my Galaxy S6 Edge+ but I sold that phone... and you can usually find them for a pretty good price too...

I've only had this case for half a day so this is by no means a full review, just thought I'd share my initial impressions. I got the Pro 9.7 a few weeks ago and was using the smart cover in Gray along with a thick padded sleeve by Targus that I had lying around. I like this solution better as now I can be more mobile with the Folio style case and not have to fumble around with a sleeve/cover combo. I'm including some pics too!

UAG iPad Pro 9.7" Metropolis Series case:

UAG Case Front Cover.jpg

UAG Case Open.jpg

UAG Case Back.jpg

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IMG_0014.PNG IMG_0013.PNG
Just got the Tech21 rear cover with detachable pencil holder built in to the right side of the iPad. This one is for the iPad Pro 2nd generation. Works with the Apple smart keyboard or the Apple Smart Cover. It is clear, and has some light texture to the rear and has the usual Tech21 protection for all sides. With the pencil holder removed it will slide very easily into the Apple sleeve. As far as can tell at this moment it is only seems to be available at the Apple Store, online or in store.

Unkei

iPF Noob
Reaction score
B466A208-3C4A-4D34-9522-02D662CB7A4A.jpeg
I did a lot of research on Apple Pencil Holders and most offerings seemed to be lacking in one or more areas. What I decided on was a product called the Ztylus Slim Apple Pencil Case. It is available in both black and silver and is machined of aircraft grade aluminum. It adds only minimum thickness to the Apple Pencil while providing a clip and protection for the tip. Once inserted correctly (Read The Instructions First!!!), the Case provides stylish, functional protection for the Apple Pencil. It does allow access to the charging tip but due to the weight of the Case, I found it to be easier to remove the pencil from the Case for charging. By twisting the Case the Apple Pencil Tip can be extended for use or retracted for safe storage, which is a very nice feature. The clip not only allows you to attach it to a shirt pocket or iPad Pro Case or sleeve, but also prevents the Apple Pencil from rolling if laid down on the desk or table. I chose the silver case but the black seems attractive also. Again...BEFORE INSERTING THE PENCIL....READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST!!!!! Price was $29.95 which seemed reasonable to me for what you get. YMMV! No...I don’t work for them..but just excited to find something that actually lives up to the hype!
Slim Apple Pencil Case

Unkei

Last edited:

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just bought a Hazard 4 Launch Pad cover for my iPad Pro and it’s great. My iPad is in a polycarbonate cover with an included screen protector and it still fits in the Launch Pad. The cover is available in black, camo or coyote brown. Usual disclaimer, I have no association with Hazard 4 just a satisfied customer.

Launch-Pad™

Just what I need to protect any of our iPads 9.7 or 10.5 whilst on holiday.

Most reactions

Latest posts