What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps in iPad shutting down immediately after opening

Muthuselvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new user of iPad. Aft bought iPad a week back. That time maps was perfectly working fine. Suddenly from yesterday I tried launching maps. It opens but closes immediately. Could anybody let me know what would be the issue. I checked location services is in "ON" state in settings.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home key for about 10 seconds, or until the Apple logo appears. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

OP
M

Muthuselvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Issue not resolved

Followed both the instructions. Issue not resolved. Appreciate any more suggestions.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with two working apps crashing recently.
I think the problem lies with the fact that the system ram is also used by the graphics chip and 256 isn't a lot to start with.
Rebooting the iPad is one way to free up ram.

I was lazy .
Following a recent article on macworld I bought a small system info app which also allows you to recover ram.
I've only been using it for two days but it appears to work and the two (graphics intensive) apps I was having problems with no longer crash.
It's called XSysinfo and the recovery button is a small arrow on the top right of the main screen. Now when I run those apps I just free up my ram before doing so.

OP
M

Muthuselvan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Installing the apps didn't work out. Atlast opted to restore the system and imported all stuffs back. Now working fine

Reaction score
is it possilbe to restore without losing data?

I am having the same problem now that Maps shuts down immediately after opening. I tried all the methods mentioned in this forum which include reset (long-press and short press), releasing RAM memory and last one -- restore. And yes, so far, to restore is the only way to bring Map back. However, if you use restore to previous backup set, the map still won't open up. The only way to fix Maps is to restore with checking "setup as a new iPad". This will bring the map back to function but you lost data in the same time. :( Having all the data backup first and then restore as a new Ipad can be the solution. However, it is very time consuming. Would apprecaite if someone can help me with a faster and easier way to get the map back without losing data? and do you think OS 4.3 can resolve this issue?

By the way, I am so cursion why the Maps shuts down immediately after opening but other maps apps still working good with no problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know why you are having problems with Maps. Most of us don't, so I don't believe it's an iOS bug. There must be something else going on, but I don't really have any ideas.

As far at the full device restore, no, it's just a tedious process. Make sure you use Transfer Purchases and do a backup before you restore. That will speed up the recover a bit and help prevent data lose, but it is still going to take a while.

If it persists, give Apple's tech support a call. They may have a better idea of what to do, and it could always turn out to be hardware related.

Reaction score
OK, here is my story of finding the best solution. First of all, if you want to skip my story and if you want to resolve this issue quickly, try this link at Apple Discussion Forum,

http: //discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2659385

(I am not allowed to post link yet, so I put in other format. I added a space in between so you need to retype the whole link.)
Basically, all you need to do is as the following,
"Reset iPad settings. From the Home screen choose Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. All your preferences are reset, but your data and media aren’t deleted."

Now, here are my findings after struggling with this issue these two days.
1. reset with pressing the home button and power button would not resolve this problem.
2. restore to previous backup set would not resolve this problem, either. I guess it is because some conflictions between apps. But don't know what they are.
3. restore to "as a new iPad" can bring the Maps back but you will lose the data, like diary and notes.
4. if you back up the data of your diary, notes, etc, the backup data set cannot be restored to your "new" iPad. I guess the restore system treats your iPad as another "new" device and the restore process will not be successful. You still lose the data.
5. Fortunately, the Apple Discussion Forum provides the easiest and safest solution. There is another "reset" way through General setup page. It is easy and safe. The data is not losing. And the beautiful part is your Bookmarks in Maps are still kept. The only things impacted is your wallpaper and wifi link which is easy to get it back within only a few seconds.

by the way, it appears that not too many people encounter this problem. The reason I put this link to this forum is because if you type the key words "Maps shut down", "Maps not working" in Google, the serach engine will bring you here. So I put the link and solution here. You dont have to restore. All you need to do is go to setting page and reset. And say hello to your Maps again.

shuggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Richard. This simple fix worked for me. Only needed to reenter my router password.

Pinac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is a great help ! Many thanks !!! I was rebooting, reloading, whatever, nothing helped, so I was checking several forums for a solution, this one worked best and smoothest ! Thank you. Pinac

Most reactions