What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map question

mhanos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to drop multiple pins or preset locations for contacts and businesses in the map app?
For an upcoming trip I would like to enter sites we will be visiting, but don't expect to use 3G service.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not as pins themselves, but if you will tap blue 'i' icon (visible when the pin is tapped), you can save the location as either a bookmark (accessed via the book icon at the top) or a contact (accessed via the Contacts app).

You can go to the Map app from the Contacts app by tapping on the address field.

Neither of these save the map data, only the location. That means that without 3G service you'll most likely end up with a very accurately placed location on a blank map. Not terribly useful. The app does have buffered maps, but the space is limited and you can't control what has been buffered. For a single trip it is possible to create a route, zoom in and view the whole thing, and use it for the trip. However any further use of the map when you access the internet again will likely overwrite the buffer.

To be certain that you have offline maps you need to get an app that stores it's map data locally on the iPad. I use Copilot. Other's recommend Navigon. The only free program I am aware of is NavFree. As far as I know all of these apps can save favorite locations for navigation to or from.

InnocentPeach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do screenshots by pressing the 'Home' button and the 'Lock' button together.

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
InnocentPeach said:
You can do screenshots by pressing the 'Home' button and the 'Lock' button together.

Where is the lock button?

Most reactions