What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Make space for upgrade

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I decided upgrade my iPad, but there is not enough space, so I have to delete/move some items.
Now I noticed that my iBooks is relatively large. It would help a lot if I could move these files (pdfs not purchased books) to the cloud. The same goes for my 'Documents' folder.

My alternate option is to mail all files and to myself, but that is a bit time consuming. I am sure there must be a better way.

I also have some games (purchased an free)that take a lot of space, but I'm not ready to get rid of them.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I decided upgrade my iPad, but there is not enough space, so I have to delete/move some items.
Now I noticed that my iBooks is relatively large. It would help a lot if I could move these files (pdfs not purchased books) to the cloud. The same goes for my 'Documents' folder.

My alternate option is to mail all files and to myself, but that is a bit time consuming. I am sure there must be a better way.

I also have some games (purchased an free)that take a lot of space, but I'm not ready to get rid of them.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks
If you do the upgrade through iTunes you will not have to free up nearly as much storage space as you do when upgrading OTA.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Hi Alexandra.. - welcome to the forum! :) You may want to tell us which model iPad you own - assume iPad 2 from the forum posted (and its capacity in GB and how much is 'free'), what the current iOS version is installed, what you want to upgrade to?

Also, do you have an iTunes and/or iCloud backup of your iPad? As Scifan.. has stated, a cabled connection to a computer using iTunes will only need about half or less the storage vs. using and OTA (over the air) upgrade, which requires about 5 GB of free storage if going to iOS 8.x - hence the reasons for my questions to you.

Just a few more suggestions, the PDFs and purchased books can be removed from your device and then re-downloaded as needed; the same is true for some of your other files/data - but please give us some more information about your iPad so we might be more specific in our recommendations? Dave

OP
A

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Alexandra.. - welcome to the forum! :) You may want to tell us which model iPad you own - assume iPad 2 from the forum posted (and its capacity in GB and how much is 'free'), what the current iOS version is installed, what you want to upgrade to?

Also, do you have an iTunes and/or iCloud backup of your iPad? As Scifan.. has stated, a cabled connection to a computer using iTunes will only need about half or less the storage vs. using and OTA (over the air) upgrade, which requires about 5 GB of free storage if going to iOS 8.x - hence the reasons for my questions to you.

Just a few more suggestions, the PDFs and purchased books can be removed from your device and then re-downloaded as needed; the same is true for some of your other files/data - but please give us some more information about your iPad so we might be more specific in our recommendations? Dave

OP
A

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for adressing my question.
I own an iPad2. 16Gb. Running still on 6.x and wouldnt change it ifit werent for some usefful apps that require iOS7+. Upgrading to the latest iOS8....
Free space 1.5Gb, need to free up 3.2Gb.
I have iCloud backup but no iTunes.

Please can you tell me how to transfer the pdfs etc? (or transfer me to a website with the answers). Never used iTunes. Thought I didn need it :).

Hope this gives you some what more of an idea of the situation.

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With a firmware upgrade as large as the one from iOS 6 to iOS 8, it's recommended that you do the upgrade through iTunes on your computer. Backup your iPad and use the restore button. This will erase your iPad and update it to the latest iOS version, iOS 8.3. Once restored, you'll be given the choice of setting it up as a new iPad or using the backup you made. Select the backup option and everything that was on your iPad before the restore will be installed.

Here's the Apple page about it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

OP
A

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With a firmware upgrade as large as the one from iOS 6 to iOS 8, it's recommended that you do the upgrade through iTunes on your computer. Backup your iPad and use the restore button. This will erase your iPad and update it to the latest iOS version, iOS 8.3. Once restored, you'll be given the choice of setting it up as a new iPad or using the backup you made. Select the backup option and everything that was on your iPad before the restore will be installed.

Here's the Apple page about it. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252
Hi

OP
A

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you. this seems like something I will have to do in the weekend.
Will give it a try and come back woth the results.
so, I can backuo the entire ipad content on iTunes?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you. this seems like something I will have to do in the weekend.
Will give it a try and come back woth the results.
so, I can backuo the entire ipad content on iTunes?
Yes, your backup will contain everything. The restored iPad, set up with the backup you make will have all the content and data, including app data, that was on the iPad at the time the backup was made.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a list of items not included in an iTunes backup:
  • Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Health and Keychain data
(Apple Support)

As you'll notice, the backup won't contain the PDF files in iBooks. Here's a way to get them to your computer:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201267

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had PDF's in iBooks that were still there after I restored from a backup. They and the other content were restored from my iTunes library on my computer. When you do the backup, you'll be notified if your iPad contains content not already in your iTunes library and will be offered the opportunity to transfer purchases. Take that option, and they will be downloaded to your iTunes library and added to your iPad again during the restore from the backup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
PDF books will only be restored (re-synced actually) to your iPad if they are contained in the iTunes library on the computer. They are not part of the backup. Any PDF files added directly to iBooks will not be in the iTunes library, nor will they be synced back to the iTunes library with a 'Transfer Purchases'.

Transfer Purchases only copies iStore content back to the computer (iBooks, Music, TV Shows, Apps, etc). It will not transfer any other files, documents, or content.

At least that is how it stood the last time I did this. It may have changed recently, but this would be the first I've heard of it. It's the reason that I go through the extra hassle of adding all my third party epub and PDF books to the computer (in iTunes) first, then syncing. Otherwise there is no backup of those books (if you haven't saved them somewhere else).

Note: On a Mac you now have an iBooks app where you add new books on the computer instead of iTunes. Syncing of the books to an iOS device is still done via iTunes.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
PDF books will only be restored (re-synced actually) to your iPad if they are contained in the iTunes library on the computer. They are not part of the backup. Any PDF files added directly to iBooks will not be in the iTunes library, nor will they be synced back to the iTunes library with a 'Transfer Purchases'.

Transfer Purchases only copies iStore content back to the computer (iBooks, Music, TV Shows, Apps, etc). It will not transfer any other files, documents, or content.

At least that is how it stood the last time I did this. It may have changed recently, but this would be the first I've heard of it. It's the reason that I go through the extra hassle of adding all my third party epub and PDF books to the computer (in iTunes) first, then syncing. Otherwise there is no backup of those books (if you haven't saved them somewhere else).

Note: On a Mac you now have an iBooks app where you add new books on the computer instead of iTunes. Syncing of the books to an iOS device is still done via iTunes.
You can read this in the link I provided:
...all podcasts from your device's Podcasts app and copies of all PDFs and books from your device's iBooks app will transfer to the computer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can read this in the link I provided:
...all podcasts from your device's Podcasts app and copies of all PDFs and books from your device's iBooks app will transfer to the computer.

Then it has changed. A good change at that. Thanks.

I'll have to give it a practical test the next time I add a non-iBook book to my collection.

OP
A

Alexandra40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok, so now I am a bit confused. I did the 'Transfer purchase' and the backup. How can I check if everything is there, including the non purchased pdf documents?

Most reactions

Latest posts