What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader Vs. pages recommendation

Demaris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched on Google and found this forum that looks great. I'm looking for almost the same thing as Greygoose. I work for a utility that has thousands of map images in TIFF and PDF format, in a file structure. All the TIFFs are one page and the PDFs are one or two. We got DocsToGo and it was very easy to sync our PC with the iPad although it took a looooong time. The file structure is there, the docs are there, and it opens the PDFs like a champ. However, when it tries to open a TIFF, I get the question mark in the blue box. If I tap the SaveAs icon and save the file - it makes a copy: <filename>(01) - it comes up and I can view it, zoom in, all that stuff. But now I have a duplicate file, and I can't view that one later by tapping it, either; I have to go through the SaveAs routine again. Worse, if I let the iPad time out while I have the image up, and I have to slide to unlock it, I have the blue ? square again and have to use the SaveAs. Now I have two extra files!

DataViz Support emailed me that since they use the built-in OS viewer, not their own viewer, there was nothing they could do. I would have to use the workaround (which is completely unacceptable for a guy out in the field at night in the rain trying to open one map after another in an emergency.) I know the viewer can show the file, since it does it when I make the copy. So why not the first time?

Apple Support found an employee using DocsToGo who could view TIFF files with no problem, and told me to email the Apple Case # to DataViz and have them contact Apple (since they sell it though the App Store and should be 100% compatible) but in 3 days I have heard nothing from DataViz, not even Buzz Off, and am very discouraged.

I've looked at LargeViewer but it appears it will make a thumbnail and a special format file for each image when they are loaded onto the iPad. Yikes. I'll check out GoodReader but I wonder if there is anybody out there with more suggestions?

Thanks for any help!

Most reactions

Latest posts