What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major. Issue with lost emails - send but then disappear and never arrive

stuartlaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is a repeating problem over the last few months and even on latest 4.3.3 OS. Symptoms are that you are offline or in a poor reception area on 3G ( could be wifi too) and drafting up emails ready for when you connect again. They sit in the outbox for Excahnge mail account on the iPad.

When internet connection comes back some emails just disappear entirely - they disappear from the outbox on the iPad but never arrive and are entirely lost from the iPad, not in outbox, sent items or drafts etc.

Very severe as you can imagine if drafting long emails on a plane and they disappear when you land ! Anyone else seeing this ? Some forum messages seem to have the same symptoms but no-one seems to be clocking this as a major apple iOS bug ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
this is a repeating problem over the last few months and even on latest 4.3.3 OS. Symptoms are that you are offline or in a poor reception area on 3G ( could be wifi too) and drafting up emails ready for when you connect again. They sit in the outbox for Excahnge mail account on the iPad.

When internet connection comes back some emails just disappear entirely - they disappear from the outbox on the iPad but never arrive and are entirely lost from the iPad, not in outbox, sent items or drafts etc.

Very severe as you can imagine if drafting long emails on a plane and they disappear when you land ! Anyone else seeing this ? Some forum messages seem to have the same symptoms but no-one seems to be clocking this as a major apple iOS bug ?

I've certainly not encountered this myself at all. Are you using SMTP with SSL and Port 465 or are you using non-SSL and Port 25?

Tim

OrrieV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to my boss yesterday, trying to help him recover the lost email, any ideas?

OrrieV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mail settings

The account is an exchange account that I set up as an IMAP on his iPad. The SMTP settings he had were incorrect because we recently did some upgrades on the server. I added the correct settings and removed the wrong ones but he showed me how he'd moved the mail that wouldn't send into a folder before that, the folder doesn't exist anywhere? I've checked all the IMAP folders but it's nowhere to be found. It took him 2 hrs to write the email so it would be great if I could find it!

Incorrect SMTP server was glenridge.dyndns.org now correct SMTP is mail.glenridge.org.za
No SSL using 587

Any ideas / suggestions greatly appreciated.

Davidh6716

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OrrieV said:
The account is an exchange account that I set up as an IMAP on his iPad. The SMTP settings he had were incorrect because we recently did some upgrades on the server. I added the correct settings and removed the wrong ones but he showed me how he'd moved the mail that wouldn't send into a folder before that, the folder doesn't exist anywhere? I've checked all the IMAP folders but it's nowhere to be found. It took him 2 hrs to write the email so it would be great if I could find it!

Incorrect SMTP server was glenridge.dyndns.org now correct SMTP is mail.glenridge.org.za
No SSL using 587

Any ideas / suggestions greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem. Short emails no problem. But when I did a two page email it was lost. So what did I do ? I retyped it again. What happened ? IT TOO WAS LOST ! Could not find it anywhere.

Rlenius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem Fix

You must set your email service that you use to check emails (not the ipad) but on you laptop or home computer to leave messages on the server. I noticed that once Outlook downloaded my emails it would remove them from my ipad. I went into outlook account setting and went to advance tab, set leave on server.
Hope this helps.

Chardman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've also had this happen to me at least twice on my Outlook account. Especially in airports with poor connectivity. Have had to simply re-type the emails. Wasted time. Love my iPad, but can be exceedingly frustrating when this happens!! Apple, do you have a fix for this in the works? Advice on how to prevent this?

Marcwynne

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Exactly the same thing happened to me today. I typed several emails on a flight today whilst in flight mode all of which I clicked send expecting them to send when I got online again, but which completely disappeared...not in outbox, drafts or sent items.

Can anyone advise if they can be recovered?

jeeje3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any email I now send from my iPad2 seems like it's being sent (from whatever application I am in) but it is never received. No error messages ar anything. This problem started about 1 week ago.

elischor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
same happened with me yesterday: i replied to several msgs while aboard flight, using the "all inboxes" feature. i even edited one of the replies from the "outbox". while waiting in the immigration queue, i connected to the airport wifi, downloaded and replied to several additional msgs. These relating to my gmail account were sent and appear in the gmail sent folder, and these relating to my exchange account just disappeared. been using ipad in the same way for about 2 years, but just upgraded to ipad 2.

jasonberwick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the last year I've had a few reports of this from a userbase of 150. It seems to be when an iPhone or iPad is connecting to Microsoft Exchange and Active Sync. I've had some anecdotal evidence that this happens in low bandwidth situations, but as it's so unpredictable it's hard to test.

Is that what other people have experienced?

DavBain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My problem is a little different. I am new to iPad. I was writing my end of month report EMAIL today. Got up for a few minutes, iPad went into sleep mode, when I opened iPad the email was gone. Not in drafts, trash or sent. No where to be found. So I started the report again. I took a phone call, same darn thing happened. I now have iPad set at 10 min before auto lock ... Hopefully auto-lock is the same as sleep mode ... and save emails in progress to the draft folder before I answer the phone. Question is .... where did the email go? There was spreadsheet attached. Doesn't iPad (Apple) have auto-save?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DavBain said:
My problem is a little different. I am new to iPad. I was writing my end of month report EMAIL today. Got up for a few minutes, iPad went into sleep mode, when I opened iPad the email was gone. Not in drafts, trash or sent. No where to be found. So I started the report again. I took a phone call, same darn thing happened. I now have iPad set at 10 min before auto lock ... Hopefully auto-lock is the same as sleep mode ... and save emails in progress to the draft folder before I answer the phone. Question is .... where did the email go? There was spreadsheet attached. Doesn't iPad (Apple) have auto-save?

I'm wondering if the type of email set-up effects this or is it uniform no matter the format? Will do some tests. I am using the Exchange set-up for both my work and gmail accounts.

EDIT: just tested this, composed an email and left it open, put my iPad down and walked away. When I came back the screen was locked. Unlocked the screen and the email app was there along with my open message still in compose mode. Had a thought about hitting the Home button, so I did that, then opened the email app again - it was still there. Must be something different about your settings or the email account set-up I think.

Last edited:

Dborn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using imap account in new iPad, from the all inboxes view, selected the email i needed to respond to, hit reply, edited the emailed and hit SEND. Waited a few days and never heard back from this urgent email. I checked my SENT folder for that account and nothing, then eventually all DRAFTS and SENT messages for all accounts and there is no evidence that I sent the message at all. Where did it go? I had perfect reception, wifi full bars, so I'm at a complete loss as to where it could be. Why does iOS have no out outbox for imap accounts?

Is there another email program/app that people use on the iPad aside from actually logging into the account via Safari?

Most reactions