What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail

ceciliacas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I send or reply to an email sent by someone who's not on my contact list, the is apparently saved and appears automatically in dropdown list in alphabetical order when I want to type the name of another person. How can I erase these names on the dropdown list? Thanks

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try this on your Mac
To manage addresses in your Previous Recipients list:
  • Choose Window > Previous Recipients.
  • In the Previous Recipients window, do any of the following:
    • To sort the list by name, email address, or the date the address was last used, click a column header.
    • To search for a name in the list, enter the name in the search field.
    • To view the card for a recipient who is already in your address book (a card icon precedes the recipient’s name), double-click the name. Address Book opens and displays the card.
    • To add one or more selected recipients to your address book, click “Add to Address Book.â€
    • To remove one or more selected recipients from the list, click Remove From List.
      Removing the recipient is useful if you don’t intend to use the address again or if you previously mistyped an address and want Mail to stop suggesting it as a matching address.
To select addresses that are next to each other (contiguous) in the list, hold down Shift as you click the first and last addresses. To select addresses that are not next to each other in the list, hold down Command as you click each address.
You can remove a recipient from the Previous Recipients list while reading a message you’ve received or writing a message. Click the arrow in a Smart Address and choose “Remove from Previous Recipients List†from the pop-up menu.

Then Sync

Update I just found this post from Tim Spracklen Super Moderator from 07/07/2011
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/37604-how-remove-old-annoying-email-address.html
Do you want the bad news or the very little good news......:(
The bad news....
The iPad keeps a separate, internal, 'recently used email address' list that is completely separate from, and not in any way related to, your contacts list. The Mac has the same list but, on the Mac, there's a way to edit/delete this list. Sadly and incredibly, on the iPad, no such facility exists - there is simply no way to delete this list.....
OK - the partial good news....this list is of 'limited length' and old email addresses eventually 'drop off the end' of the list...
Many Members have complained about this; maybe Apple read iPad Forum and hopefully they'll eventually do something about it.
Tim
PS it's raining cats and dogs here too..but that's not unusual for Scotland..​

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I send or reply to an email sent by someone who's not on my contact list, the is apparently saved and appears automatically in dropdown list in alphabetical order when I want to type the name of another person. How can I erase these names on the dropdown list? Thanks

Unfortunately, you've run into one the iPad/Apple's little "helpful" quirks. You cannot remove names from that drop-down list in the Mail app. What you can do is wait (for an indeterminate time) and hope that eventually the name will move further down the list (or disappear) because you haven't used it in a while.

Yeah, that's not really an answer, but most of us have resigned ourselves to this. Sorry.

Marilyn

Most reactions