What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't send mail from alias in Mail

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can somebody tell me how to send mail from an alias on my iPad? I can receive mail sent to my alias, but the alias is not listed as an option when I go to send mail. I have added a Yahoo account, and that account is listed, but I want to use my main iCloud account to send mail, and I don't want to use the default email address, I want to use an alias. I have listed the alias in my contacts under my name.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The the best of my knowledge (and I did look into it once) you can only send emails from the primary email address in an account. Aliases are not supported in the Mail app.

You can reply to a Yahoo message and change the From field to your iCloud address before sending, but you can only send from it's primary email address.

OP
C

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I am sure I used to be able to send from my iCloud alias! It used to be listed as one of my options! But I just had to totally reformat my iPad, and now it is no longer listed.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whoops! I'm wrong. I was certain I had checked this out before, but it might have been before iCloud.

I'm glad you challenged me, because it made me go back and look again {which I should have done in the first place} :eek:

Go to icloud.com on your computer, open the Mail app, and then Preferences under the gear icon at the top right. You should see something like the attachment below under the accounts tab. Select each alias and make sure the send/receive mail as alias is checked.

MailAlias.jpg

This is one of the big reasons I stick around here. It challenges me to learn, especially the stuff I already thought I know. :D

OP
C

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply--but I did check, and my alias was already checked on my computer as you had suggested.

OP
C

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no problem sending mail from the alias on the computer---only on the iPad, where it does not show up at all, which is strange, since I am able to receive mail from the alias....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try going to the iCloud settings and turning Mail off. Visit the mail app to make sure your iCloud account is gone, then go back and turn it on again.

If that does not work try signing completely out of the iCloud account. When it asks if you want to delete the local calendars, contacts, whatever say yes (to help prevent duplicates. I again suggest visiting all the affected apps all the apps to force them to clean, then sign back on in iCloud settings.

I'm hopping this will force the iPad to reset your email to what's in iCloud.

One caution. If you have apps that are using Documents and Data in iCloud it would be best to make sure you've got good copies. I've never lost anything critical when starting/stopping this service, but I have had duplicates and other minor hitches that make me wary; especially in the iWorks apps.

You can also try it from the other end. Uncheck the alias box(s) and exit the preferences (to force a save), then go back in and re-check the box. This is simpler, so you might want to try it first. {I always seem to think of the easy stuff last, hmmm}

That's all I can think of for now.

Good Luck.

OP
C

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much---I tried the two last things you suggested, which did not work at first, but after restarting the iPad, they did work! Now I can again send from my alias!

Yptcn

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had no idea I could send mail with an alias from my phone or iPad ...I just checked and sure enough , they are there !
I learn something new every day here ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts