What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail keeps beeping even when sleeping

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop Mail from beeping and checking for new mails when iPad is asleep?

It's an iPad 1 wifi only. I have Mail setup with Yahoo Mail. Push is OFF and Fetch is set to 15 minutes. Even when I put iPad to sleep, I keep getting "new mail" beeps all night long!

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the iPad still beep if you turn mute on? Or just turn the volume down as you go to bed? Or you could go into sounds and turn off the "new mail" sound?

Just suggestions...

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's actually my wife's iPad so outside of using the power to turn it on and put it back to sleep, there is pretty much no chance of remembering to put it in silent mode or mute before putting it to sleep! And she likes the beep while she is using it!

I was hoping that a "sleeping" ipad meant it was not doing anything anymore! Does it actually continue to check for mails while sleeping? That will suck up battery power won't it?

Thanks

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's kind of the point of that mode... I would suggest you turn it off at night then. Just hold down the power for a few seconds then slide off. Then just turn back on in the morning.

OP
J

jsherk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will attempt to train my wife accordingly!

Although I don't see the point of it (checking mail while sleeping)... if I am sleeping, there is no reason to be checking my email! When I turn it on, then check them! What about if you set mail to Manual mode ... I will try that and see if that stops it!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jsherk said:
I will attempt to train my wife accordingly!

Although I don't see the point of it (checking mail while sleeping)... if I am sleeping, there is no reason to be checking my email! When I turn it on, then check them! What about if you set mail to Manual mode ... I will try that and see if that stops it!

That will definitely stop it, setting it to manual, but only if you are not using push email. But then your wife will have to check email manually every time.... seems like the wrong compromise to me.
You need to think of sleeping as just having the screen turned off... lots of folks would complain if the iPad did nothing in this mode (including me!). We are all different! I pick mime up if it "beeps" during tthe evening because I know something needs attention. I mute it at night.
Flicking the swithch to mute seems like the best setup for you from where I am sitting... Good luck with the wife!

Last edited:

thoma05

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this:

You can turn off the chime for new e-mails.
Go to Settings
General
Sounds and disable the chimes.
You may also adjust the sound level here.

Most reactions

Latest posts