What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mail Accounts - one keeps being greyed out

Hec66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I have two mail accounts on the iPad - mine and my wife's. There is no problem with mine, but every so often my wife's mail account gets greyed out, that is both the mailbox and the account are greyed out, and my wife's emails do not appear in 'All Inboxes'.

I have found that tha only way to recover the stuation is to power off and restart the iPad, which is a nuisance, especially when travelling.

Why is it happening and how can I prevent it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've never heard of this happing.

All I can suggest is that you delete the account from the iPad, then add it again. Hopefully this will clear things up.

The other possibility is that the account's serves are not always available. There are many possible causes.

This is the one I would check first:

If you're wife's account is a POP3 (check her email provider's support site), some of these limit your connection to the server to one device. When one is connected the other can not. That should also be on the support site, somewhere, though probably difficult to find.

If it is POP3, check to see if her provider offers an alternate IMAP server option, and change your setup to that. It's far more flexible.

If you supply a bit more information, like who her email provider is, and whether the email is set up on more than one device or computer we 'might' be able to offer further suggestions, or at least speculation.

OP
H

Hec66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never heard of this happing.

All I can suggest is that you delete the account from the iPad, then add it again. Hopefully this will clear things up.

The other possibility is that the account's serves are not always available. There are many possible causes.

This is the one I would check first:

If you're wife's account is a POP3 (check her email provider's support site), some of these limit your connection to the server to one device. When one is connected the other can not. That should also be on the support site, somewhere, though probably difficult to find.

If it is POP3, check to see if her provider offers an alternate IMAP server option, and change your setup to that. It's far more flexible.

If you supply a bit more information, like who her email provider is, and whether the email is set up on more than one device or computer we 'might' be able to offer further suggestions, or at least speculation.

Hi
Thanks for your prompt reply. I have deleted the account from the iPad and reinstated it. It is too soon to see whether it has worked or not.

My wife's account is IMAP, and she normally checks email on her desk computer using Outlook, occasionally on her Galaxy phone, and on the iPad when we are away from home.

Her email provider is BT.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, hopefully it's all cleared up.

I've heard of people having problems with BT accounts before. There are several members here with those accounts, so it it doesn't get fixed hopefully one of them can offer more specific advice.

Most reactions

Latest posts