What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

email account greyed out

txdurk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed ny att email password. My iPad emaill account was greyed out so I couldn't update it so I changed my att email password back to the origina but my iPad email accounts are still greyed out. My email still works and downloads mail. I just can't change my account password. What gives?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check Settings > General > Restrictions and make sure you have Accounts (at the bottom) set to allow changes.

You'll need the passcode used to set Restriction, if you've set one. If not, and you do set it while looking at things, don't forget it. You'll have to restore the iPad to undo that mistake, just like you would for forgetting the lock screen passcode.

OP
T

txdurk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check Settings > General > Restrictions and make sure you have Accounts (at the bottom) set to allow changes.

You'll need the passcode used to set Restriction, if you've set one. If not, and you do set it while looking at things, don't forget it. You'll have to restore the iPad to undo that mistake, just like you would for forgetting the lock screen passcode.

Thank you for the suggestion but no joy. 'Restrictions' presents a passcode challenge. After entering the passcode, a check of the email field shows it is still unavailable (greyed).

OP
T

txdurk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Just did a full reset and am able to get into the email settings now. thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad you found a solution. Reset fixes a lot of things. I didn't think of it for the reason stated below. Oh well. :)

Obviously it wasn't restrictions, but if it had been, after the passcode challenge you would have scrolled to the bottom of the options and checked what the Accounts options said. That, btw, does exactly what you were describing. It grays out all the mail, calendar, contacts accounts so that you can not change them.

Most reactions