What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAC or P.C.? What to do, what to do.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I know this is not the forum for this, but I also know I can trust ya'all and maybe get a chuckle or two. My trusty, dusty and crusty pc has given up the ghost with only a minor loss of data. So now I'm on the hunt. Should I go another eight year with a new flashy windows pc. Or close the circle and get a new MBP. A Mac would make me 100% apple, which amazes my kids since I "was" a google guy. The thing is my IPad and iPhone have been so good to me, I just can't resist wanted a MAC.

My question is how many of you have MACs? is the learning periods significant. Cost? -' I can get two new Win PCs for the price of a MAC, and on the other hand pc laptops only last two years in my experience. A MBP can last almost forever!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:
I know this is not the forum for this, but I also know I can trust ya'all and maybe get a chuckle or two. My trusty, dusty and crusty pc has given up the ghost with only a minor loss of data. So now I'm on the hunt. Should I go another eight year with a new flashy windows pc. Or close the circle and get a new MBP. A Mac would make me 100% apple, which amazes my kids since I "was" a google guy. The thing is my IPad and iPhone have been so good to me, I just can't resist wanted a MAC.

My question is how many of you have MACs? is the learning periods significant. Cost? -' I can get two new Win PCs for the price of a MAC, and on the other hand pc laptops only last two years in my experience. A MBP can last almost forever!

1) I say get a Mac if you want one. Don't worry about cost; they cost very little today compared to what they used to cost not that many years ago.
2) I have several old Windows laptops. I replace them with newer more powerful ones long before they wear out. IME, they last forever.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apparently, and I'm using 100% hearsay here, if you spec a PC to the same standard as a Mac it will cost about the same. I stand to be corrected here, however.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No I don't agree, pc would be about $400.00 more San retina display.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zipur said:

Well, it's a no brainer then. $400 in your back pocket, and a beautiful display too. Off to the Apple store with you, ASAP.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And if you do decide to go down the Mac route, don't forget our sister forum

http://www.appleforums.net/

I'm still a Windows guy, but there should be some useful info there, and you'll likely recognize more than a few names.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:

A windows laptop $400 more? You haven't been keeping up with prices. Apple gear is generally more expensive than the equivalent windows hardware. Of course, there is no windows equivalent for a retina MBP.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I switched to Mac about a year ago, took a few months to get completely used to it. Something's are better, some are worse. Seems to boot up faster and be more stable, but that could be because its newer, Aperture 3 seems easier for me to use than Lightroom was, I got used to the 2 finger click replacing the right click immediately and I like the layout a little more. The new OS now fully works with Apple TV. I prefer the Windows file management a little more, too bad they got rid of the old winfile.exe. I also have some software that can only run on Windows, so I have Parallel run Windows when needed.

As suggested in the forum link, I think there are some threads on the benefits of one vs the other.

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zipur said:

Correction: a MBP would be more, I got distracted with the Olympics.

Thanks for the link!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you compare spec to spec, there is always a Windows machine that cost less, quite a bit less, than an Apple. However, when you add in build quality, and check out the reviews on some of those 'great deal' Windows machines, the price gap starts to close rapidly. Either way, the cost counters on both sides have always been able to twist the argument whichever way the wanted. Only the person buying the computer can decide which combination of features and form are worth it to them.

Apple just doesn't build low end machines. They refused to even consider the netbook. Instead when it looked like people really did care about the size, they flipped the concept onto a premium machine.

Another thing to consider is that with an Apple machine, you can still run Windows if you're willing to invest in the software. The opposite is kind of true, but in reality only true for those willing to tinker, a lot.

The biggest benefit to going all Apple is the tighter integration you'll see between your devices and computer, mostly via iCloud. There are quite a few things you simply can't do on Windows, and several that are a lot easier on the Mac. That is even more true with Mountain Lion (the newest version of OS X), and it will tighten up again with iOS 6.

iTunes works better too, though it's still a franken app. ;)

I am admittedly Apple biased, so keep that in mind. I do like to think I came by it honestly though. I spent several years supporting a Windows network. :D

Last edited:
OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
When you compare spec to spec, there is always a Windows machine that cost less, quite a bit less, than an Apple. However, when you add in build quality, and check out the reviews on some of those 'great deal' Windows machines, the price gap starts to close rapidly. Either way, the cost counters on both sides have always been able to twist the argument whichever way the wanted. Only the person buying the computer can decide which combination of features and form are worth it to them.

Apple just doesn't build low end machines. They refused to even consider the netbook. Instead when it looked like people really did care about the size, they flipped the concept onto a premium machine.

Another thing to consider is that with an Apple machine, you can still run Windows if you're willing to invest in the software. The opposite is kind of true, but in reality only true for those willing to tinker, a lot.

The biggest benefit to going all Apple is the tighter integration you'll see between your devices and computer, mostly via iCloud. There are quite a few things you simply can't do on Windows, and several that are a lot easier on the Mac. That is even more true with Mountain Lion (the newest version of OS X), and it will tighten up again with iOS 6.

iTunes works better too, though it's still a franken app. ;)

I am admittedly Apple biased, so keep that in mind. I do like to think I came by it honestly though. I spent several years supporting a Windows network. :D

I should have just pm'd you. You always come through' thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Better to share it in public. Besides, I'm only one side of the discussion. There are arguments for going with Windows too, I'm just not sure what they are. :D

Hopefully someone will chime in with the counter points.

Did I mention that I was biased?

OP
zipur

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I talk windows but while shopping I keep ending up in apple world. I guess I want someone to talk me out of it. My wife tells me " just use my hp laptop!" . But I would not be happy, and since this is my BD month I don't want to settle. The trouble is I'm not sure the MBP will integrate with my work since i'm in a window work place. I hope the VMware will address that.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
i'm a windows user of 20+ years and a mac user of 5 years.

i use both proffessionally. each a desktop model. on that bases, both operate more or less as good as the next. why do i have both tho? well, no specific reason, i just do :p

Proffessionally, coming from a windows background, i still preffer the windows os. it's conveluted, clunky, finiky, but hey, i know it in my sleep and as fluently as i breath. that kinda familiarity isnt easily dropped. as for my mac? it's beautiful. really beautiful. super efficient, smooth, fantastic ui's and user experiences, and rock solid. but at the end of the day, given a choice, i'd still plump for a pc. and my ipad and iphone link-ups? they both operate exactly the same and equally good on either my mac or pc.

work aside, on a personal view, i no longer use a computer. my ipad does it all for me. with flying colours. but, if i were to buy a laptop, i'd probably buy an all singing all dancing MBP, purely because they're on another planet from any competition in terms of hardware. i'd also probably opt to install windows on it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts