What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MAC filtering

• Thread starter Deleted member 247820
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 247820

Just bought iPhone 13. Wireless printer will not connect. Used to via iPhone 7.
One of the possible reasons is that the MAC address is rejected.
I believe that MAC address filtering can be switched off.
However I just cannot find where to do this.
Any help finding this entry will be greatly appreciated.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
MAC address filtering is typically done on the router, not the connected device (the phone).

That said, it seems unlikely address filtering is the issue.

Is the printer set up for AirPrint, or DirectPrint (or some other not-AirPrint method)? AirPrint requires you to be on the same network as the printer. Direct Print requires you to log into the printer (similar to how you into the network). In that case you you should see the printer show up in your Wi-Fi settings.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Tpoet.
Thanks for your reply.
No router, just the iphone set to hotspot.
No air printer. Brother wifi printer.
Hotspot supplies the network for the printer and back to the phone!
The printer itself prints out a possible fault being the MAC rejected, that's why I am looking for the MAC filter setup.
The printer used to know my old phone. (Using hot spot). Now it will not yet connect to the new phone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the iPhone is providing the printing network via it's hotspot capability, you probably need to go into the printer's settings to get it to join the hotspot. Since the printer is not an Apple device using your iCloud account, make sure you've got Allow Others to Join turned on.

Getting a new iPhone probably changed the hotspot network enough that the printer can't join it using the old login.

That's my best guess, but it would be an unusual and possibly unreliable way of doing things.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi Tpoet.
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have a regular modem, everything is via cellular connection.
It used to work brilliantly via iphone.
However I am not asking anyone how to fix the problem, all I want to find out is "Where is the MAC filter setup on iphone 13? Or is there even such a section?"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, there is no MAC filtering on the iPhone. As I said before, this is a feature almost exclusive to routers. A high end dedicated hotspot device might have this ability, but iOS devices do not. Again, to the best of my knowledge. If they do, it’s buried deep.

OP
D

Deleted member 247820

Hi TPoet.
Big thanks for your research and reply.
You have answered my question.

Most reactions

Latest posts