What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skyhook & MAC Address Filtering?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use MAC address filtering on my wireless router on the assumption that it would provide the ultimate control over access to my wireless network.

Having come to understand the world of Location Services, Skyhook and "wardrive", I wonder whether the MAC address itself is secured by this means.

Google maps shows my location 4 houses down the road possibly because it uses a neighboring wireless router location (there are 3 within range of my iPad).

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MAC address filtering only determines which devices can connect to your router, but as long you are broadcasting your SSID, anyone can see it.

As a side note, I have a WiFi only iPad and Location Services shows the "teardrop" for my house right over my neighbor's house which is about 250' away. I just chalk it up to the inaccuracy of the system.

Most reactions