What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loving the Ipad2 but have I made a mistake?

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please can anyone help - DIlemma have I been missold ipad/cloud etc
Good Morning

Hope you dont mind and hope I have the correct place for this question

I have been looking for an Ipad - wasnt too bothered about the latest as I read there isnt that much difference between the ipad2 and the latest one - especially for my needs - which are browsing, email, facebook and many hours of crafting including digi scrapping and updating my blog. I do have two children 8 and 10 so they will have supervised access to it. Money does factor into my purchase and need to keep tight hold of purse strings so I looked it all up and thought my way forward was a 32gb ipad 2 - saw it as Tesco for £399 and thought yep could just about do that. Well we went to Tesco - we looked online, went to Comet, Currys, Phone Shops in Town etc etc - nobody had the ipad2 in a 32gb - plenty had the 16gb but I know I am an avid scrapbooker so I always have hundred of photos ok going into a couple of thousand piccies on my pc so was worried 16 wouldnt be enough.

I add at this point am a bit of a technophobe - dont quite know when that happened I used to be in the RAF and when I was home on leave I would have my folks asking me to set this and that up and how did work the video/cd player and the mobile phone etc - not a problem...now my 10 yr old son knows more than I do about our tv let alone the ipad - but I want to learn - I dont want to get left standing and him thinking Mum is a potty dinosaur..ok I digress...my next port of all was Currys. I ended up being talked into

16gb ipad 2 for £329
Whatever happens cover for £115
Icloud 5 year plan £150

totalling a lot more than intended but was led to think it was the right thing for me.

Having stayed up until 4am trying to sort it all out I phoned what I was told was the 24/7 helpline - now dont get me wrong - there was a fab chap there that helped me with what he could but as for the icloud and storage etc etc - that was something called livedrive and although he could take me to their gates he could not advise me on anything else. So there I was at 4am thinking why oh why did I buy this I was told there was a person that could totally help with everything. He said to me he thought I had been missold the product - as I would have been better to not have the cloud as I would get 2gb anyway plus whatever size pad I bought. He told me I had 21 days in which to return it
I came off the phone thinking rightyo I will have to return it - rang hubby who was on nights and he said well to be honest - you are gonna pay more for a bigger capacity ipad and at least with teh cloud - we can access the piccies when we are visiting the outlaws. SO was then thinking aaaaaagh - ok will stick with it.

Next day I phoned back the helpline and spoke to a different person for advice on next step of sorting out my ipad and its features - again to be told looks like you have been missold - icloud really not necessary

Yesterday whilst trying to be brave I found a phone number for the cloud people and a very kind gent went through the fact that the back up is not permanent - if pc crashes I have 30 days in which to get new pooter set up and bascailly copy across from teh cloud to new pooter therefore not losing any date. I have the briefcase for anything permanent that I dont want to lose. I had thought in my mind that a briefcase was a temporary thing - and back up permanent - as I say it is a whole new ball game to me!!! He queried if I had got the right package for me with the cloud - can you see a pattern forming - is it me am I so thick these guys thinks its out of my reach - you wouldnt think I hold a responsible job that takes a lot of thinking would you - by this stage am feeling totally deflated and rather thick!!!

I am so totally loving my ipad and all the apps - have downloaded couple of books and 1 song. Have created my first digital layout on the scrapbooking app so yes I love the ipad but logging on just now Tescos have the ipad 32gb back in stock - should I return this to Currys and purchase the 32 fm Tescos (Have got£18 of vouchers plus quidco so it would save a bit - not sure where to get insurance cover for it and what about the cloud a- aaaaaaghhh please can anyone help advise me - technophobe of lincolnshire here!!!!​

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Take it back currys have missold you insurance (twice!!!!). You don't need the icloud cover or the whatever happens cover. Especially not at those prices, I don't even know what the icloud cover would do. Icloud is provided free by Apple itself.

If you want cover for your ipad get applecare instead, this will give you access to apple support who will know exactly what they are talking about and not screw and confuse like currys have.
Apple (United Kingdom) - Support - AppleCare - iPad

[URL]http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC593?mco=MTc0MzgwMzE
[/URL]

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I too would be returning this as I do think they have taken advantage of you. I've never heard of an iCloud 5 year plan and can only think that this is extra storage capacity for 5 years which is silly especially if you don't know whether you would need it or not and as DefBref has said you get 5 GB free through Apple, and you can purchase extra storage anytime if and when you need it. Do have a look at AppleCare and compare what you have purchased already. I would personally go for the biggest unit I could afford also.

On another note please do not post twice on your issue as it fragments the information and makes it confusing for members to follow and is also against Forum Rules, your other thread has now been deleted.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and apologies for posting twice - I thought max coverage would get swifty response - very sorry to have been a rule breaker especially on first post!!!

As I understand it the Icloud 5 year cover is for a terrabyte of cloud storage - dont think it is cover - sorry if I mislead you - I had gone is looking for 32gb and the manager said I would be better buying this with icloud 5 year which means it stores for 5 years and then I have to pay another £150 for a further 5 years storage

I have been using the Ipad2 as I didnt know any different - so will they take it back - both the helplines told me to take it back.

I guess I am little worried that I wont have enough with 16 gb - but maybe with 32 I will - and obviously I will know have the 5 that apple give you anyway - so if I go with the Tesco 32gb and additional 5 that should (Hopefully ) work - have to be honest - havent got a clue how much that really is in terms of photos and apps etc

I do think it is good for me still to purchase an insurance cover as I have young children - thanks for the link to the apple care I have rang them to find out more - it is a 2 year plan the same as the whatever happens but it is not for accidental damage - with the currys plan - if it is dropped or the kids spill a drink on it - it is covered - this is not the case with the apple product so for that alone = it is better - unless anyone knows of any other way of getting full cover for it - dont want to take it on my household policy as I have never claimed on that even when my daughter knocked our telly and it was damaged (dont want our premiums going sky high)

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare Plus will provide warranty and support for a full 2 years even with up to two accidents being your fault.

Take yours back. Restore it to factory settings before you do. Also make sure you get the refund on the cloud storage.

I would also involve your son and daughter in the purchase if they have any understanding of what you are buying. At least be there so they can translate what the guys are trying to sell you.

Get a 32gb or 64gb iPad with AppleCare plus and skip all the other expensive options. You can pick up options later if you find you need them.

OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I phoned applecare and they said accidental damage was NOT part of their warranty????? Confused now and reset to factory settings - aaagh ?????????????????? xxxx

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
danemi1 said:
I phoned applecare and they said accidental damage was NOT part of their warranty????? Confused now and reset to factory settings - aaagh ?????????????????? xxxx

Only AppleCare+ covers accidental damage and I'm pretty sure that you can only get standard AppleCare in the UK but there are policies available from 3rd party providers should you think that you need it.

EDIT: BTW, AppleCare comes free with your iPad and you can extend it to two years at any point before the free time runs out.

EDIT2: Here is the link to AppleCare on Apple.com which should explain everything http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/ipad.html

The Archangel

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you really need insurance then how about this......http://www.squaretrade.co.uk/pages/..._002:ukipad3&gclid=CJzj2L-Q068CFVASfAod9DYfew

I've not tried them but I have heard good things about them.

In terms of cloud storage and backup I would not sign up to a five year plan, tech changes so fast that a better solution is always around the corner. I use iCloud but also top that up with other services like Dropbox (which is free for the first 2GB). The 5GB you get from Apple is actually better than it sounds as things like apps don't count against your 5GB as they are already stored on Apples servers so it's only really data (files) that is being used up by the space.

EDIT: and another edit, this link provides excellent info about iCloud and the last paragraph explains why 5GB is actually a lot more than 5GB http://www.apple.com/uk/icloud/what-is.html

The Archangel

Last edited:
OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much - very kind - I am seriosuly thinking of taking this back to Currys and cancelling the icloud and whatever happens insurance cover - basically get a refund on it all and then go to Tescos and get either the 32 or 64 (I have a £10 discount voucher plus I can use my points up although I only get single value but hey ho - it is for something I want and then I can take out a separate insurance for ipad which includes accidental damage - I have been told about one called Protect your bubble which is £4.99 a month.

So next thing to do is make sure everything is backed up to my pc and then try to restore ipad to factory settings and then tomorrow I will return the ipad 16gb. I understand that none of the apps I have bought will be lost as they will sit in itunes and then when I log on next with my bigger one they will all jump onto it

Hope that is right - thanks ever so

Only one worry when I set up the ipad it said I had to tick a box to say I agreed to pay £150 in the 5 years time ro renew the icloud - will have changed my bank card by then anyway so hopefully that is all ok - thanks everyone xxx

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
danemi1 said:
Thank you so much - very kind - I am seriosuly thinking of taking this back to Currys and cancelling the icloud and whatever happens insurance cover - basically get a refund on it all and then go to Tescos and get either the 32 or 64 (I have a £10 discount voucher plus I can use my points up although I only get single value but hey ho - it is for something I want and then I can take out a separate insurance for ipad which includes accidental damage - I have been told about one called Protect your bubble which is £4.99 a month.

So next thing to do is make sure everything is backed up to my pc and then try to restore ipad to factory settings and then tomorrow I will return the ipad 16gb. I understand that none of the apps I have bought will be lost as they will sit in itunes and then when I log on next with my bigger one they will all jump onto it

Hope that is right - thanks ever so

Only one worry when I set up the ipad it said I had to tick a box to say I agreed to pay £150 in the 5 years time ro renew the icloud - will have changed my bank card by then anyway so hopefully that is all ok - thanks everyone xxx

Yes, all your apps are linked to your iTunes account so you can get them all back.

I would have thought that you have a cooling off period for that payment so hopefully you can cancel that now.

The Archangel

OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Archangel - have just reread your previous thread - that insurance with square deal sounds fab - thank you ever so much

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In terms of "the cloud" it is possible, in fact easy, to set up your own private cloud and a lot cheaper than Currys, this device http://www.dabs.com/products/wester...onal-cloud-storage-nas-77V7.html?fb=473&src=3 plugs into your router and with the WD 2 Go App you have your very own 1TB cloud, hence my comment that tech changes by the minute. Personally I am happy with Apple's iCloud although I'm likely to set my own private cloud up shortly but then I'm crazy for multiple back ups!

The Archangel

OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "Nas" is what my friends' husband has and he works for bt -he really knows his stuff but it sounded a bit technical for this" trying not be technophobe!" He is popping over at the weekend so he may wel show me a bit more - I will get there - eventually - thanks to people like you and him!

I am dreading taking it back in case they are funny with me but I only bought it last friday so hopefully should be ok

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you will be fine when you take it back.

Don't worry about all the terms like NAS, almost everything these days is "plug and play" so very little setting up beyond plugging it in.......and when there is an app for it, it's even easier!

The Archangel

OP
D

danemi1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yay!!!!! RESULT!!!! I took it back and the Manager at the Lincoln branch of Currys was fabulous. He refunded my 16gb, icloud and warranty and case. He went on his pooooter and checked around at other stores for the 32 or 64 and wow what a star he got me the 64gb for £419 and is having it couriered across for me this week - I will be without one for a few days but am so impressed with it all...I was so nervous about going in and wondered if he would be funny about it - but I have to say - full respect to the gent - absolute first class customer service!

I have stayed with their whatever happens warranty as there was nt much price difference and it meant I could ring their support line at any time for free - am really pleased - thanks all for your help especially you Archangel xxxxxx

Most reactions

Latest posts