What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lousy wi-fi reception

fritz68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brought my ipad to work for 1st time today. had my touch yesterday and it never lost the wi-fi signal one time. the ipad will not even pick up the signal which now makes the ipad pointless. the reason i bought it was to use all day at work. anybody else have this issue?

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've heard about a couple people complaining about this same issue, dropped Wi-Fi signals, but I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I use my Wi-Fi at home, school, Starbucks, and a couple cafes, and it works just as well as my iPhone or laptop do.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find my 3G has similar range to my 1st gen touch. Which is good considering the touch is on g band which is supposed to have better range and be better through walls. I've only dropped signal when I'm at the extreme edge of that range for both of them.

rle737ng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had very good results at home and on the road in hotel rooms. I leave on anther trip tomorrow. Will give it a try in a couple of new city hotel rooms.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
You may want to learn how your wi-fi routers are configured at work, and especially regarding the length of time set for the "DHCP lease" 'cause that can affect it a lot.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in the country, and my neighbor's house is not two foot away like in the city, it is some distance from mine. But I can connect to her network from in my house, so I'd say my reception is pretty good!

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brought my ipad to work for 1st time today. had my touch yesterday and it never lost the wi-fi signal one time. the ipad will not even pick up the signal which now makes the ipad pointless. the reason i bought it was to use all day at work. anybody else have this issue?

Many others claim to have had similar issues. If you have the means, get to an Apple store and have them check it out. There have been units with production issues (inevitable when you're making millions of them). If it checks out ok, then you are probably the problem. Not trying to be mean here but there are definitely more "claims" of bad units than actual problems. Root of the problem is usually someone who doesn't fully understand how to properly set up a wireless network or doesn't fully understand how the network at their office works. If you really think the iPad is pointless return or sell it and go buy a Microsoft Tablet or HP Slate if/when those ever become available. I'm sure products designed and manufactured by those two giants will be 1000% fool proof. This "iPad wifi issue" is obviously starting to irk me :mad:

dwagner88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi model has been great keeping a signal until yesterday. Now it drops out 5-6 times a day, and it will NOT reconnect until I go into settings and fix it myself. The 3G model hasn't had these problems. I wonder what has changed to make it worse?

Takenover83

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wifi model has been great keeping a signal until yesterday. Now it drops out 5-6 times a day, and it will NOT reconnect until I go into settings and fix it myself. The 3G model hasn't had these problems. I wonder what has changed to make it worse?
I have heard reports of people with more then one iPad having this kind of issue. Maybe try a static IP, so the DHCP does not need to renew?

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have heard reports of people with more then one iPad having this kind of issue. Maybe try a static IP, so the DHCP does not need to renew?

I just unboxed my 3G the other day and haven't used it much (everything's on my 64G wifi). I gotta check this issue out. If the static IP is the solution I'm screwed because it isn't an option for Time Warner residential service in Honolulu. I need to get both ipads going, had to fight my 2 year old this morning for the wifi iPad. Evidently daddy's work isn't as important as Mickey's Clubhouse.....:eek:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1st generation of a device is always going to find a few foibles. There will be software updates over the next year that will solve some issues. Other fixes will be added as production continues. The rest is solved by repairing broke units, or improvements in wifi modems.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
I just unboxed my 3G the other day and haven't used it much (everything's on my 64G wifi). I gotta check this issue out. If the static IP is the solution I'm screwed because it isn't an option for Time Warner residential service in Honolulu. I need to get both ipads going, had to fight my 2 year old this morning for the wifi iPad. Evidently daddy's work isn't as important as Mickey's Clubhouse.....:eek:
They're not talking about your WAN IP address (the one visible to the Internet), they're talking about your LAN IP address (the one assigned by your router). Your LAN IP is usually set to be assigned as DHCP, but what's being talked about here is setting it to be "static" (like, 192.168.1.2) so the leasing issue is taken out of the equation. (If the iPad loses its DHCP lease, then it would disconnect, thus the connection problems...possibly.)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Havent had any isses. I use it at home just fine, I've used it at Barnes & Noble, and I have used it at 2 seperate studios....all have worked fine. My guess is your work has some kind of firewall that is restricting your access.

Most reactions

Latest posts