What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost photos

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just discovered that most of my photos went missing on my iPad. Panic time!

Got a hunch it happened during a recent back-up to iCloud. We have no wi-fi here on the lake, so I back-up when we go to the big city.

When I go to one of my albums, a few photos are there along with the word "downloading". Nothing more downloads....the little dial just goes 'round & 'round.

Really need some help here.

Larry Cruzen

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just discovered that most of my photos went missing on my iPad. Panic time!

Got a hunch it happened during a recent back-up to iCloud. We have no wi-fi here on the lake, so I back-up when we go to the big city.

When I go to one of my albums, a few photos are there along with the word "downloading". Nothing more downloads....the little dial just goes 'round & 'round.

Hi Larry - sorry about your photo issue - cannot help w/ the iCloud backup (don't use the service for that purpose), but you might want to provide some more facts about your lake location - you don't have Wi-Fi, as said - I also assume that you do not have a computer (for an iTunes backup)? Also, are these photos that you take w/ the iPad, a camera (if the latter, do you then use the CCK - Camera Connection Kit), downloads, or whatever combination?

My first suggestion is not to rely on the native Photo App of the iPad as the primary and only site to store your images, especially if the pics are of personal value to you - some type of backup should be done, at least on the iPad and preferably to an external storage device. Thus, my second suggestion is to obtain another photo app in which you can copy your images (of importance) as a secondary storage site on the device and still leave the photos in the iPad's photo app - one such program that is on my iPad is shown below (Photo Manager Pro) - inexpensive, password protected (if desired), and a number of export options for secondary backup.

A final suggestion is also shown below - Air Stash - an inexpensive device that uses SD cards and establishes its own Wi-Fi network - an app on the iPad is used to transfer images between the iPad and the Air Stash (in either direction) - this would be perfect at the lake (w/o Wi-Fi internet) to backup your images off the iPad. There are certainly other solutions - good luck! Dave :)
Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 11.40.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 11.41.36 PM.png

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Dave. You have offered some good suggestions.

I do have both a desktop and a laptop computer here. They, along with a couple of printers, and all of our IPhones & iPads can be interconnected on a wireless LAN, using a Cisco router. Problem is, I haven't even turned on the big computers in more than a year. The iPads have completely replaced them here. The only Internet access I have is via Verizon cellular LTE and an expensive data plan. (got rid of Hughesnet because it was terrible.)

The pictures which were on my iPad came from a variety of sources: airdropped from iPhones, downloaded, saved from other apps like PS Touch and Snapseed, e-mailed, and transferred from my laptop using iTunes years ago. I disliked iTunes software so much that I just quit using it.

My only back-ups have been occasionally to iCloud. When my iPad 3 recently dropped dead, I made a very successful restore from iCloud to my new iPad air. It retained all of my documents, photos and detailed data from each app. I was delighted. I expect I can recover my photos from iCloud, but I don't yet know how without doing a complete restore.

It never occurred to me that the Apple native photo app would screw up. Looks like mine is corrupted because it sits there saying it's downloading something, but it's constipated. Don't know what to do about this situation. Can't delete and re-load the app, since it's native. After I post this note, I will try a reset to see if that cures the problem.

The Air Stash device that you mentioned looks very interesting. I'll check into that. Meanwhile, I may have to go make up with iTunes and the laptop. I don't want to back up photos on my iPad for storage space reasons and the fact that iPads can drop dead.

If anyone can tell me how to restore just my Photos from iCloud I'd be appreciative.

Larry Cruzen

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I do have both a desktop and a laptop computer here. They, along with a couple of printers, and all of our IPhones & iPads can be interconnected on a wireless LAN, using a Cisco router. Problem is, I haven't even turned on the big computers in more than a year. The iPads have completely replaced them here. The only Internet access I have is via Verizon cellular LTE and an expensive data plan...

Hi again Larry - so you have computers in your lake location, but not internet connection unless you use your cellular data plan - so, I guess that you could use a cabled iTunes connection to one of your computers to backup your iDevices, whether desired or not?

The pictures which were on my iPad came from a variety of sources: airdropped from iPhones, downloaded, saved from other apps like PS Touch and Snapseed, e-mailed, and transferred from my laptop using iTunes years ago. I disliked iTunes software so much that I just quit using it........

BOY, that complicates the issues, i.e. you need to backup these images in a secure fashion - the solutions that I suggested previously would work - keep in mind that Photo Manager Pro offers numerous backup options to save to another computer - take a look @ the link provided, if that is of interest to you?

My only back-ups have been occasionally to iCloud. When my iPad 3 recently dropped dead, I made a very successful restore from iCloud to my new iPad air. It retained all of my documents, photos and detailed data from each app. I was delighted. I expect I can recover my photos from iCloud, but I don't yet know how without doing a complete restore.

As stated in my previous post, I've not used iCloud for a backup option, so not able to help - hopefully others will 'chime in' on this issue.

It never occurred to me that the Apple native photo app would screw up. Looks like mine is corrupted because it sits there saying it's downloading something, but it's constipated. Don't know what to do about this situation. Can't delete and re-load the app, since it's native. After I post this note, I will try a reset to see if that cures the problem.

Well, after 3 years on an iPad 2, I find the native Photo App the weak link in the chain - you've likely experienced what many others have also - so, reason to make sure your important images are saved in a repository other than that app - just saying.

The Air Stash device that you mentioned looks very interesting. I'll check into that. Meanwhile, I may have to go make up with iTunes and the laptop. I don't want to back up photos on my iPad for storage space reasons and the fact that iPads can drop dead.

As already explained, if you do not want to use your computers @ the lake for backup, the Air Stash is an option that uses its own Wi-Fi network; the iPad app allows you to easily transfer images between the iPad(s) and the SD card(s) in the device - SD cards of LARGE capacity will work w/ Air Stash, so just an inexpensive backup option. Dave :)

SimonDenis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey, you can recover them back! Just watch this video to know how you can accomplish this -

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, but this appears to be specific to Photos lost on a Canon camera.

My Photos disappeared from all of my albums on the Apple native photo app, but I found that they remained on the "camera roll" and "photo stream" albums.

I moved them all over to Photo Manager Pro and am now happy as a clam at high tide.

Larry Cruzen

Most reactions

Latest posts