What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos on iCloud, not

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tried to look at my photos at iCloud.com using my PC. I see no photos on it since 27 October. I have all the settings turned on to backup my photos to iCloud so what gives. 27 Oct must have been about when ios8 and Yosemite came out and the cloud storage area allegedly changed.

Using the iPad and Safari in desktop mode to go to iCloud.com yields the same results. So none of my photos since October are backed up at icloud, I guess!

What's happening?

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just to pre answer questions, my settings.
image.jpg

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has been reported a week ago that this happened to other users as well. For some, this is working again, others still can't see their photos. It seems to be a glitch in the iCloud Photo library. Some people think it's related to the new and soon expected Photo app for Mac.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems if your photos are important, you would be wise not to trust in Apple Cloud but use something like Dropbox. Pages and the other iWork apps seem to work fine on iCloud though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seems if your photos are important, you would be wise not to trust in Apple Cloud but use something like Dropbox. Pages and the other iWork apps seem to work fine on iCloud though.

Especially since iCloud Photo Library is still in Beta.

If your data is critical using the first version of software is risky enough. Using a beta is insane. I'm using the beta, but I also make a habit of uploading all the photos I actually care about to a cloud service; Flickr in this case. Then again, I'd do this anyway, even if I thought iCloud Photo Library was as stable as software gets. Trusting anything important to one place is asking to lose it.

The corollary is you shouldn't trust just Flickr, or DropBox either. Have a backup.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So any idea why my photos are not showing up on iCloud and how to get them there. This does not seem to be a universal problem.

OP
n4uau

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called AppleCare and they confirmed that my pictures are on iCloud but I just can't see them. No real explanation why and I was told that they are working on iCloud photos to solve issues like that. I guess we just have to trust that if we ever need a back up that they will be there. As Twerppoet said we need to back up in several places if the photos are really important. Perhaps we should go back to film and paper photos. In fact, as a retired Kodak employee, I recommend we all do that to help my pension :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that I've lost a 'lot' of prints and negatives in the past. Sure, you can back them up, sort of, with duplicate prints. But it is easier with digital.

I do not want to go back to film. If for no other reason than how much cheaper it is to go crazy and experiment.

Sorry about not supporting your pension. :)

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just clicked yes to try the cloud storage beta and half my photos just disappeared from my iPad! I am pissed! I thought it was just going to store copies in the cloud! This is ridiculous! Where did they go?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just clicked yes to try the cloud storage beta and half my photos just disappeared from my iPad! I am pissed! I thought it was just going to store copies in the cloud! This is ridiculous! Where did they go?

To date, I've not used any of Apple's photo cloud services, but having read a few of their support articles on the subject, changes are made to your native Photo App when the iCloud....beta is activated, specifically your 'Camera Roll & My Photo Stream' are replaced w/ an 'All Photos' album - see the quote below from HERE.

Let us know whether your images are still on the iPad but now in another location? Also, did you lose the 'Camera Roll' location? Just curious and may help others to know. Dave :)

After you turn on iCloud Photo Library, all your photos and videos are organized in one library by the date they were added. The Camera Roll and My Photo Stream album are replaced with an All Photos album, which gives you the same compact view as before. When you enable iCloud Photo Library, all your full resolution photos and videos will upload to iCloud Photo Library. Low resolution photos added to your iOS device using iTunes sync won't be stored in iCloud Photo Library. My Photo Stream will continue to upload recent photos to share with your other devices.

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes it did create an all photos album but they were still not there. I have since turned off the cloud beta. It restored some of the photos but many are still missing. I still have them on my phone. Strange!

Most reactions

Latest posts