What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loss of wifi sensitivity

pauladev

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since the latest iOS update to 11.2.1 I have experienced a severe drop in the ability of my ipad to connect to my home wifi. I normally get over 40 megabits upload and 10 download in the same room as the router, and previously it dropped a little in other rooms to say 25 in the kitchen. Since the update I have great difficulty in even connecting in the kitchen to my iPad Air1. My Android phone has no problem and receives similar strength as before.
Is this coincidental that it happened after an update, or could it be a general performance deterioration in a 3 year old iPad
Does anyone subscribe to the theory that latest updates are not useful to older iPads but designed solely for the capacities of the latest models, and in fact can cause problems for the older models.
Is there a way of reverting to iOS 10 when all was well?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Paul...... - first your DL (Download) & UL (Upload) speeds are the opposite expected, i.e. DL speeds are typically much faster, e.g. the first pic below is a Speedtest run on my iPad Air 2 - I'm on a 100 Mbps DL plan but is somewhat degraded by the iPad being a room away from my modem (Apple AP Extreme) - this can be checked w/ an app 'Wi-Fi Sweetspots' (next 2 pics) - my router is currently broadcasting 4 bands, but I'm on the slower 2.4 GHz one (signal strength is better) which maxes out at about 216 Mbps, evident by the router transmission rates near my modem vs. the den. Not sure what apps you are using to make your checks, but these may help.

But for starters and if not already tried, I would suggest that you 'power recycle' your router & modem (may be one or two units), i.e. stop the power, wait a minute or so, then re-power the modem followed by the router; also reset your iPad (used both HOME & ON-OFF buttons pressed at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release and wait for a reboot). Let us know if any of this is helpful. Dave :)

P.S. your last paragraph is speculative and there will be plenty of varied opinions, so I'll not offer one - but concerning going back to iOS 10.x, see the last pic (LINK)

Speed1.PNG
Speed2Den.PNG
Speed3Modem.PNG
Speed4.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember that Apple released updates for the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s in iOS 9, to help them work with the software. I think something similar happened in iOS 10 for older devices as well. Of course they optimize the software for their latest devices, but they also make sure iPads and iPhones compatible with the software can handle it without problems.

Most reactions