What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad wifi constant dropouts after latest update

BrendenEdser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new visitor to the feedback forum.

I have had my iPad since it first came out and always very happy with it.

Since latest update it constantly drops the Internet connect about every 15 mins and then takes a minute or two to re-connect.

I have done all the recommended fixes and nothing works.

Just wish I had never done the latest update.

If you know how to fix this your help would be appreciated.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a new visitor to the feedback forum.

I have had my iPad since it first came out and always very happy with it.

Since latest update it constantly drops the Internet connect about every 15 mins and then takes a minute or two to re-connect.

I have done all the recommended fixes and nothing works.

Just wish I had never done the latest update.

If you know how to fix this your help would be appreciated.

Are you connected via WiFi or 3G? I mention this because, on my ADSL (broadband) router there is a 'keep alive' option, which (if not checked) disconnects the router from the Internet if there is a prolonged period of (Internet) inactivity (which you can set). I have mine set to 'Never' but, if I reset the router, it goes back to a default setting and I have to change this again.

OK - it's probably not the problem but, as a young engineer I was taught that 'association is not causation'. i.e. the fact that two events (your update and the Internet connection being intermittent) are associated in time does not necessarily mean that one caused or is responsible for the other. It can be very tempting to believe that associated events are causative - and, it's true, they often are - but not always....

So, is the Internet connection lost if you use it continuously for an extended period of time? For example, if you go to the iTunes store and download a big movie (you could try to download some of those University lectures, which are free and are BIG) so that the Internet connection is kept active for a long time, does it drop out then?

Get back to us with updates on your progress. Don't panic - I'm sure we can sort this out. There's a logical solution to every problem I was taught - OK, by the same guy that taught me the earlier 'gem'.......

Tim
Scotland

OP
B

BrendenEdser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your idea but the router is set to never sleep. Also if I am playing an online game or using the web browser on the iPad then it drops out for about 30 seconds and then is ok again. This would not be such a big deal except when I am playing poker online, can be very frustrating.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm - OK - this *is* a puzzle.

Please forgive me for mentioning it - but I guess you've done a complete reset - i.e. powered the iPad down completely and then brought it up again?

You can tell I'm really 'scraping the barrel' for ideas....I'm running iOS 4.2.1 too and I don't have any problems like this and I've not seen any reports similar to yours on the Forum. It seems unlikely to be a hardware related issue because everything worked fine before and if other devices at home continue to work OK on the Internet and it's only the iPad that's intermittently losing connectivity then, you're obviously right in that it sounds like a software or settings issue.

There are a number of fairly good 'network apps' available that can do a packet-by-packet capture of the network traffic so, as a last resort, it would be possible to store the network traffic and analyse the events that occur around the time when the iPad disconnects. As you can imagine, this is a fairly laborious option but, if necessary, it would certainly give a detailed snapshot of what's causing the disconnect to occur.

Please let me know if the power-down/power-up has any effect; as I said, I'm sure you've done this already but it's always worth checking. I'm always surprised by the number of people who have tried absolutely everything *but* this. If that's not the problem, then packet analysis may be the next step :(

Tim
Scotland

Ninofab

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Dropout After Update

Brendan,

I am following your line of thinking. I never had drop outs until recently, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the updates.

Most reactions

Latest posts