What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Wi-Fi connection

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It would clear your network settings:
Wi-Fi, cellular settings, VPN, APN.
You'll have to set them up again after resetting.

OP
B
Reaction score
Sorry to be so dumb, but how do I reset the cellular settings, VPN, and APN? I can reset the Wi-Fi setting.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to be so dumb, but how do I reset the cellular settings, VPN, and APN? I can reset the Wi-Fi setting.
If you have set up VPN and APN, and you have an iPad with a SIM card, resetting all network settings will reset those too.
That's done in Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings, as you've described it.

OP
B
Reaction score
I went to General/VPN and it says it's "Not Connected" and it's not turned on. I don't know about APN. I don't think I have a SIM card. I don't see it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you see something like this next to your Wi-Fi connection, you have a SIM card:
IMG_0008.JPG

Otherwise it's Wi-Fi only.

OP
B
Reaction score
No. I don't have that symbol. It just says, "iPad" with the strength of Wi-Fi symbol. I am connected right now but it took a long time. Sometimes I get randomly disconnected so I go back to settings and my Wi-Fi network name will be grayed out. I touch it to re-activate it immediately.

OP
B
Reaction score
Before I Reset Network Settings I want to be sure I don't mess it up. I watched a Youtube video about it but it didn't show anything about resetting the VPN and APN information.

OP
B
Reaction score
If I Reset Network Settings, will I have to physically re-enter info for VPN and/or APN like I will for my Wi-Fi or will they reset themselves?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Reset Network Settings will reset existing information. If VPN and APN haven't been set up, there's nothing that can be reset. So this feature will remove the information about your Wi-Fi network, and nothing else. That's what you have to enter again after resetting.

OP
B
Reaction score
I Reset Network Setting and it seems to have fixed my problem. I turned off my iPad and after turning it back on I was still connected. I think it will be ok now. Thanks to each one for your help.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your iPad could be up to almost 6 years old and there’s the possibility that there’s a developing hardware problem here. Genius Bar appointments at an Apple store are free and they should be able to diagnose your problem. If there is a hardware problem, the cost to repair the iPad will be more than the iPad is currently worth.

OP
B
Reaction score
Now I'm unable to reconnect this iPad to Wi-Fi. Maybe it'll connect later but after multiple attempts it hasn't reconnected so far.
scifan57: I'll look for the nearest Apple store and take it there. Thanks for the infomation about genius bar.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I'm unable to reconnect this iPad to Wi-Fi. Maybe it'll connect later but after multiple attempts it hasn't reconnected so far.
scifan57: I'll look for the nearest Apple store and take it there. Thanks for the infomation about genius bar.
You're welcome.
Considering the age of the iPad and its possible hardware problem, you may want to consider an upgrade.

Let us know what the Apple Store says.

OP
B
Reaction score
When I went to Settings this morning, my network name was listed under Choose A Network. I clicked on it and was connected to my Wi-Fi. I don't have much time to be online until this evening. If the problem reoccurs, I'll be in contact with the Genius Bar and will post what they say.

Most reactions

Latest posts