What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Emails - So Frustrated

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me why I receive any and all emails on my desktop pc? But, when checking email messages on my iPad2, only about half of them show up.

I have spent hours on this, and my ISP has tried to help to no avail.

It must have something to do with my settings, but I do not know where to start. If I do a reset on my iPad, and start all over, would this solve my problem or do I need to change some settings on my pc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kate

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
What kind of access to your email server/provider do you use on your PC? What email service do you use?
Generally it is all about the settings... both on email provider's side and PC

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, My stupidity is going to show now.

I have fiber. I use Thunderbird.

Some people are saying that my email account on my ipPad2 should be listed as an IMAP account, while others say it should be a POP account. Does it matter?

I do have iCloud and Dropbox on my iPad, but do not think that should affect not getting some emails on the iPad.

This all started when I updated to iOS.

Your help is much appreciated. My ISP tells me they don't know much about iPad settings, so what a bummer.

Thanks.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Kadee said:
OK, My stupidity is going to show now.

I have fiber. I use Thunderbird.

Some people are saying that my email account on my ipPad2 should be listed as an IMAP account, while others say it should be a POP account. Does it matter?

I do have iCloud and Dropbox on my iPad, but do not think that should affect not getting some emails on the iPad.

This all started when I updated to iOS.

Your help is much appreciated. My ISP tells me they don't know much about iPad settings, so what a bummer.

Thanks.

Hey Kate, no stupidity when asking for help, would be stupid not tomask for it and suffer with a problem one has...
The important question is how your emails are received on your PC. (Setting of Thunderbird) this should be IMAP. On the iPad I only work with IMAP, but that should not be your problem - however better it is to have it like that, as otherwise the sync would be one time only...

How is your incoming emails server set up in Thunderbird?

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, Thunderbird is a POP server, and so is my iPad now. Everything is working much better. I am getting everyone's emails on both my iPad and desktop computer. The only thing I am not getting is everything I signed up for ie., Macy's sales ads, Pet newsletters, etc.
I have no clue why either.

Thanks for your help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, Thunderbird is a POP server, and so is my iPad now. Everything is working much better. I am getting everyone's emails on both my iPad and desktop computer. The only thing I am not getting is everything I signed up for ie., Macy's sales ads, Pet newsletters, etc.
I have no clue why either.

Thanks for your help.

Check your spam filters on your computer (or at your ISP). If you're not getting stuff you signed for (that is commercial in nature), I would think the odds are that a spam filter is catching it. So, you'll need to set up the filter to allow those emails through.

They might even be in a folder in your ISP account (on the web).

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Be sure to think about how you set your email accounts to delete mail off the ISP server. On my home PCs, I set my PC email it to never delete emails to my work ISP server accounts, and I tell my Work PC to never delete mail off the ISP server for my home account. My work PC is set to delete mail off the work server after 3 days and my home PC is set to delete mail off the home server after 3 days. Finally, none of my mobile devices are allowed to delete mail off any server. All your devices get mail off the ISPs server, so this is what I'm talking about. As long as an email is on the server, any device can get it. Once it is deleted from the server, no device can get it. Finally, deleting an email from a PC or a mobile device is NOT the same as deleting it off your ISPs server.

On your iPad, when setting up mail, if you dig into advanced setting, you willl see where you can control if mail is deleted off the server or not.

Attachments

• image-2888025986.jpg
    image-2888025986.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone. I will be calling my ISP for help tomorrow, if I cannot figure this out tonight.

Appreciate your help.

Kadee

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ is on to something. Your emails will not show on a alternate device, if your settings say to delete messages on server when exiting. Check your preferences or do a search for a how to. Otherwise most providers really don't want to talk to us. Lol

Most reactions