What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for APP to lock certain apps

gdave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

My kids keep on playing with my ipad. Its there a app on that you can lock certain apps so no one can access them without a password?

Thanks,

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums from Australia. Unfortunately no however future iOS updates may allow such an option. A smart developer may read this and write a app.

It may be possible if the iPad is hacked but I will let other members update you on this.
This is all I can offer
You can change settings. See below

The 'restrictions' setting in Settings will enable you to restrict access to:
safari
youtube
itunes
installing apps

It's a start, but it's all the iPad will allow.
As we do not know what you want to restrict it is hard to advise what will work.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
OP
G

gdave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks,

I would like to block contacts and calendar so my kids cant delete things and some apps.

Thanks,

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As col.bris suggests, you cannot 'password protect' regular iPad folders or (most) apps. So there would be no way of preventing your children viewing and/or modifying your calendar or contacts list. col.bris mentions the restrictions that you can apply in the 'Settings' app on the iPad 'Home' screen and that's about it.

You can prevent them from deleting apps too. If you 'Google' this problem, you might think there are some third-party apps out there that can do this but, if you study them in detail, you'll see that they're not really what you're looking for. These third-party apps allow you to protect designated data files - say documents you have authored - but they don't allow you to restrict access to the iPad's native apps or prevent access to the iPad's native folders, as far as I can see.

Maybe this will be addressed in a future iOS revision, since it's an OS issue. The iPad 'sandboxes' apps and this means they have very limited opportunity for interaction. The upside is that the iPad is effectively protected against viruses - the downside is that it's impossible (?) for a third party app to modify underlying OS functionality because to do so would open the door for viruses.

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is the "app" my father used to threaten us with if we misbehaved!

straight_paddle_220_310.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts