What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a BT On lap keyboard

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched these forums and saw quite a few keyboard threads, but most keyboards posted don't have a good support for the iPad that I am looking for.

Sometimes I need a physical keyboard attached to my iPad, and don't have a desk, so I need a sturdy stand that my iPad 1 can sit in or on while the keyboard can be used for when I'm either sitting down with it on my knees, lying down, or on a desk. I also need the keyboard to be a case for my iPad that can 'tuck away' the keyboard to give back the use of the portable tablet.

Does anyone know any that would suit my needs? Any posts are appreciated, I don't mind what price, as long as if it doesn't suit my needs that I'll be able to send to back to the retailer without problem.

Thank you.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you've already looked at a variety of threads, I suspect you've already considered the Incase Origami Workstation, a case for the Apple Wireless keyboard combined with a stand for the iPad. It's not exactly what you describe. In fact, I don't think what you describe exists, at least from what I can understand.

It does, however, provide a case for the keyboard and a stand for the iPad. You can use the iPad with or without the keyboard and the workstation stand is sturdy and supports the iPad well in either landscape or portrait mode. (Works with both the iPad and the iPad 2, btw.)

Where it fails to meet your requirements, I think, is the "keyboard to be a case for (your) iPad..." The OW is a case for the keyboard. The iPad remains unattached; it simply sits propped up by the OW folded cover. Another potential problem is your need to place the whole apparatus "on (your) knees." The OW folds back in a sort of triangular support. It can certainly sit "on your knees" but since the support comes to a point it could be more stable when it sits in your lap. (Depends on whether you keep your knees together, I suppose.) It's far better than the kickstand that many cases provide, but obviously not as good as a broad support that covers your lap.

I like the combination a lot in part because I like the Apple Wireless keyboard and in part because I can use the iPad with or without the keyboard. But it does mean that I need a "bag" to carry both the iPad and the (closed) OW that serves as a keyboard cover. I use a Waterfield Design "Travel Express" case or a Timbuk2 small messenger bag to carry both along with accessories like the power cable/cube and a pair of headphones.

Altogether the cost of the OW, Apple Wireless Keyboard, and a small messenger bag will run you about $120-$140 depending on the price of the bag. You can, of course, spend more if you want a more expensive bag.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've searched these forums and saw quite a few keyboard threads, but most keyboards posted don't have a good support for the iPad that I am looking for.

Sometimes I need a physical keyboard attached to my iPad, and don't have a desk, so I need a sturdy stand that my iPad 1 can sit in or on while the keyboard can be used for when I'm either sitting down with it on my knees, lying down, or on a desk. I also need the keyboard to be a case for my iPad that can 'tuck away' the keyboard to give back the use of the portable tablet.

Does anyone know any that would suit my needs? Any posts are appreciated, I don't mind what price, as long as if it doesn't suit my needs that I'll be able to send to back to the retailer without problem.

Thank you.

You may find the ZaggMate suitable. I use it to operate my iPad in laptop mode.

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you've already looked at a variety of threads, I suspect you've already considered the Incase Origami Workstation, a case for the Apple Wireless keyboard combined with a stand for the iPad. It's not exactly what you describe. In fact, I don't think what you describe exists, at least from what I can understand.

It does, however, provide a case for the keyboard and a stand for the iPad. You can use the iPad with or without the keyboard and the workstation stand is sturdy and supports the iPad well in either landscape or portrait mode. (Works with both the iPad and the iPad 2, btw.)

Where it fails to meet your requirements, I think, is the "keyboard to be a case for (your) iPad..." The OW is a case for the keyboard. The iPad remains unattached; it simply sits propped up by the OW folded cover. Another potential problem is your need to place the whole apparatus "on (your) knees." The OW folds back in a sort of triangular support. It can certainly sit "on your knees" but since the support comes to a point it could be more stable when it sits in your lap. (Depends on whether you keep your knees together, I suppose.) It's far better than the kickstand that many cases provide, but obviously not as good as a broad support that covers your lap.

I like the combination a lot in part because I like the Apple Wireless keyboard and in part because I can use the iPad with or without the keyboard. But it does mean that I need a "bag" to carry both the iPad and the (closed) OW that serves as a keyboard cover. I use a Waterfield Design "Travel Express" case or a Timbuk2 small messenger bag to carry both along with accessories like the power cable/cube and a pair of headphones.

Altogether the cost of the OW, Apple Wireless Keyboard, and a small messenger bag will run you about $120-$140 depending on the price of the bag. You can, of course, spend more if you want a more expensive bag.

Hi, thanks for the response, however a stand and a separate keyboard isn't an option as I need a case that I can change the angle of the iPad screen without it falling on my hands if say it is on my knees. Also I carry around a bag constantly with other work in, such as folders, books, etc, that cannot be stored on my iPad.

I was looking into the clamshell keyboard case for my iPad 1, but I've heared mixed reviews about it, does anyone know of a similar case?

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You may find the ZaggMate suitable. I use it to operate my iPad in laptop mode.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I don't like the fact that the ZaggMate has a lip around the keyboard, does this make it hard to type, and if say, I was using my iPad lying down with my knees up, would the pad fall down?

Sorry about the double post.

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps the Adonit case would meet your needs.
This keyboard looks amazing! The only part i don't like is what looks like a cheap nasty cover that stretches out past the keyboard, I know this cannot be helped as the keyboard is smaller than the screen, but they could have stretched the keyboard a bit further so it was the same height and length as the iPad.

Do you know where I can buy one of these? As there is no buy link on their website, and whether or not the shipping to the UK will cost me an arm and a leg. :confused:

Thank you for the great suggestion.

Edit: Found the buy button and the shipping price to the UK is £25, £130 for a keyboard! If I can't find anything else that suits my needs for cheaper, I'll go with this option.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note of caution about the Adonit keyboard. The Amazon site includes, I believe, only one review. It's from a teacher who praises the keyboard for its small size, appropriate for children to use.

I mention this because on another forum site one user has decided to return his Adonit bluetooth keyboard case because the keyboard is simply too small for his use.

YMMV, of course. But keep in mind that the keyboard is apparently significantly smaller than the Apple Wireless keyboard. And I find the latter to be as small as I can use comfortably.

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note of caution about the Adonit keyboard. The Amazon site includes, I believe, only one review. It's from a teacher who praises the keyboard for its small size, appropriate for children to use.

I mention this because on another forum site one user has decided to return his Adonit bluetooth keyboard case because the keyboard is simply too small for his use.

YMMV, of course. But keep in mind that the keyboard is apparently significantly smaller than the Apple Wireless keyboard. And I find the latter to be as small as I can use comfortably.
I had a look at the Amazon review, and watched a few YouTube videos of the Adonit keyboard, and the keyboard does indeed look very small, however, I have small fingers (ish), so I'm not sure it would matter to me or not. Thanks for the advice though.

Still looking for my dream keyboard! :(

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just another note about keyboard size and usability for those considering a combination keyboard/iPad case.

I happened to glance at my iPad/Origami Workstation combo and noticed that the Apple Wireless Keyboard is nearly two inches wider than the iPad (in landscape orientation.) And if I compare the width to my (preferred) Microsoft 6000 portable keyboard, the width difference is nearly four inches. (Obviously split between the two sides in both comparisons.)

Would I be willing to give up nearly two inches in the keyboard to fit it into a case just wide enough to hold the iPad? Personally, no. Would I expect a manufacturer to create an iPad case whose size gives a higher priority to the keyboard than the iPad? Again, no.

So just a word of warning to those considering combination iPad/keyboard case solutions. The keyboard is going to be cramped. There's simply no way around that fact. You may well adjust to it but it's unlikely that any case will provide the space of a keyboard on an 11 inch laptop.

A roomy keyboard may not be your highest priority, of course. But the number of posts I've seen from folks unhappy with their combo case/keyboard solutions suggests that those who write a lot may want to look at other options.

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand nothing can be helped about the size of the keyboard, I am mainly wanting it to write emails, edit documents, and post on numerous forums I visit, I am able too with the onscreen iPad keyboard, however I like the thought of being able to change the orientation of the screen while having the keyboard facing upwards (if the iPad keyboard combo is on my knees or desk while I am sitting down.

I am also looking for a keyboard with functional arrows that I could use to move through my paragraphs without the need of the annoying magnifying glass using the touch screen.

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the origami workstation along wit the BT apple key board and honestly its the best combos Ive had. I use this everyday for school and all I need is a binder to have a sturdy base, a binder is pretty much the exact size needed to have the origami workstation open and be sturdy and just to sit on your lap. If you are looking for a iPad case that has a keyboard built in than this isn't for u. But if you want something that can be used separately and something quite reliable than this is a great buy.

OP
A

adam.o.ao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your post, but the purpose of me wanting to spend a lot of money on a Bluetooth keyboard is not to use a binder with my iPad, but very well thought out idea you use, I would never have thought a binder could help. :p

The perfect case I am looking for is:

Has adjustable viewing angles for the iPad
Removable iPad from the case
All-in-one keyboard and case
Functional arrows and other command keys

Three cases I have found have those functions, yet I am unable to choose from them.

ZaggMate -

Pros:
Looks like a very clean design
Arrow keys, fully functional keyboard for what I need

Cons:
Doesn't have a built in 'case' and different viewing angles, meaning the iPad could fall if I was using it on my knees or lying down
Has a 'lip' around the keyboard which might get a bit annoying
iPad isn't built into the case

Crux360 Clamshell:

Pros:
Has a lot of different viewing angles including one that hides the keyboard
Very stylish outer case and keyboard
Arrows and functional keyboard

Cons:
Keyboard on one viewing angle (When keyboard is facing down and behind iPad in cinema viewing mode), keys may get dirty or scratched
Then the iPad is 'flat', when the keyboard is hidden under the iPad completely in 'tablet' mode, the iPad doesn't sit completely flat, I have noticed this in numerous reviewing videos

Adonit Writer:

Pros:
Easy eject iPad
Outer case
Many viewing angles
Functional keys

Cons:
Large rubber case when adjusting viewing angles behind iPad (Look at the screenshots of it on the Adonit website)
Smaller keyboard length than iPad height so when closed, iPad screen hangs over the edge of keyboard

Most reactions

Latest posts