What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked iPad 1 with unknown pass code.

seedub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Way new to the ways of mac and even newer to forum scene. I hope someone can please help. Son's friend was using our iPad and created a new pass code. Safe to say he now cannot remember it. Many attempts to unlock proved unsuccessful.
It is an ex-office iPad my sister gave to our family. Kids use it for games, apps, etc
Tried to restore but given the message that it is ineligible but not why. So switched computers and that one said due to lack of space on the device. That would be correct since it is full of kids apps. Thing is, I can't delete any apps to make space for restoration process because it is locked.
See my catch-22 situation here? Can anyone please help?
Cheers

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seedub said:
Way new to the ways of mac and even newer to forum scene. I hope someone can please help. Son's friend was using our iPad and created a new pass code. Safe to say he now cannot remember it. Many attempts to unlock proved unsuccessful.
It is an ex-office iPad my sister gave to our family. Kids use it for games, apps, etc
Tried to restore but given the message that it is ineligible but not why. So switched computers and that one said due to lack of space on the device. That would be correct since it is full of kids apps. Thing is, I can't delete any apps to make space for restoration process because it is locked.
See my catch-22 situation here? Can anyone please help?
Cheers

Welcome to the iPad forums, a diverse group of people from around the world who share an interest in the iPad and other Apple products. Many of our members volunteer their time to answer members questions and find solutions to their problems.
If a search of the forums doesn't provide the answer you are seeking, don't hesitate to ask a question in the appropriate forum.
Before posting, be sure to read the forum rules.
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

I'm afraid that you will have to connect it to iTunes on your computer and use the reset function to erase all content and settings. There is no way to get past the forgotten passcode. You will lose any data that is not backed up or in your iTunes and App Store purchased lists.

Last edited:
OP
S

seedub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So happy to lose all the settings. It's the ineligible-ness that I'm concerned about. How can I delete apps to make room of I can't get past the code? Any hints?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seedub said:
So happy to lose all the settings. It's the ineligible-ness that I'm concerned about. How can I delete apps to make room of I can't get past the code? Any hints?

Use the computer you normally sync the iPad with and use iTunes to erase all content and settings. You shouldn't have to make room on your computer as you aren't adding anything to it, just erasing everything on the iPad, including the annoying passcode.

OP
S

seedub

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use the computer you normally sync the iPad with and use iTunes to erase all content and settings. You shouldn't have to make room on your computer as you aren't adding anything to it, just erasing everything on the iPad, including the annoying passcode.

I tried all that. All day. Mind you, the pad is a hand-me-down and so not synced to any computer in our house.
This is the error notice I get when I try.
"The iPad 'iPad' could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build."
I was thinking maybe the iPad doesn't have enough space?
I truly appreciate all your help thus far.

Most reactions