What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock Screen Works - Doesn't Work

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As often as not the lock screen isn't there when I wake up the iPad 3.

Sometimes when I open the cover the lock screen is there and I swipe the unlock indicator to the right and the home screen appears.

Often when I open the cover the home screen appears with no lock screen in sight. In fact that is the what happens most often.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think it's because of the incomplete fix for smartcovers. During the beta phase, there were a few problems with smartcovers triggering the iPad's waking/sleeping. I'll see if I can replicate it on an iPad at work.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As often as not the lock screen isn't there when I wake up the iPad 3.

Sometimes when I open the cover the lock screen is there and I swipe the unlock indicator to the right and the home screen appears.

Often when I open the cover the home screen appears with no lock screen in sight. In fact that is the what happens most often.

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Hold you have the iPad set to turn on from sleep when you open the cover? Check in the General tab of your Settings app:

a6ysytu3.jpg

As you can see, mine is set to turn on when I open the cover (and to go to sleep when I close the cover). I haven't had it NOT work that way, yet...

Marilyn

OP
J

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330: I checked and the button is in the on position. I turned it off and on again, shut IOS down, rebooted and tested again. NO change.

If I leave the cover open and turn the iPad 3 off, all works fine. If I close the cover (I can see that the screen is OFF), the lock screen is bypassed. I don't use a password by the way.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330: I checked and the button is in the on position. I turned it off and on again, shut IOS down, rebooted and tested again. NO change.

If I leave the cover open and turn the iPad 3 off, all works fine. If I close the cover (I can see that the screen is OFF), the lock screen is bypassed. I don't use a password by the way.

I think I'm confused about your actual issue... Or we are talking sideways at each other. Sorry. :)

By design, you should not see the lockscreen if you have the cover set to start the iPad from sleep. When you open the cover, you should always go to the last view you had before you closed the cover (and put the iPad to sleep).

The only time you should see the lockscreen when you are using the cover is if you have a password set. In that case, when you open the cover, the iPad will show you the lockscreen and the number pad for you to input your pass code. Once you've typed in the pass code, you will then go to the last view you had before you closed the cover and out the iPad to sleep.

Well, mostly. I believe you can put a delay on the pass code so you don't have to enter the code if you use the cover to start up the iPad within a certain time frame. But, you don't use the pass code.

So, when you open the cover, the iPad should wake and show the last thing you were looking at, regardless if you used the cover to put it to sleep or it went to sleep on its own with the cover open (and you then closed the cover).

When the option is turned on in Settings, opening the cover will always wake the iPad from sleep, no matter how the iPad was put to sleep.

That help?

Marilyn

OP
J

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Didn't know that. When IOS 6.XX was installed and I opened the cover I always got the lock screen. Also note with IOS 7 even if I close the cover with the lock screen showing, when I open it again the lock screen is gone. Usually. Mostly. If that is normal behavior that is fine with me.

Most reactions