What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock Kids Out Of Kendle & iBooks

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the perfect way of restricting my kids from certain apps: I sit with them while they're playing, looking, laughing. An added benefit is that I can play, look and laugh as well. And because we're all crowded onto the same couch there's a fair bit of cuddling as a by-product.
:)

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the perfect way of restricting my kids from certain apps: I sit with them while they're playing, looking, laughing. An added benefit is that I can play, look and laugh as well. And because we're all crowded onto the same couch there's a fair bit of cuddling as a by-product.
:)

Your point is well taken but it's not always possible. My 7 y/o loves the iPad and I purchased it in part to share with her and to enable her to use it on her own. I've been consistently disappointed by Apple's design in this regard. Either they're completely oblivious to the fact that an iPad (unlike a phone) may not be a purely personal device used by a single person or the company simply believes the "solution" to the problems raised on this thread is to purchase an iPad for every member of the family.

Even apart from questions of inappropriate content and security, I would like to enable my daughter to have her own set of apps organized as she wishes. I can set up a single home screen for her but I cannot limit her access to that screen. Nor can I label it in any way that gives her a feeling of "ownership." Even worse, if there are apps that are shared with other members of the family I cannot place the same icon on multiple pages. Angry Birds can be accessed either on her page or one of mine. It can't be both places. My wife, daughter, and I all have individual email accounts. While the email app can handle all three it cannot be configured to restrict access on an individual basis.

All in all, the iPad is a wonderful device for family members to share. The fact that Apple has failed so conspicuously to provide the tools necessary for this purpose is a shame. Considering that my $600 notebook provides the option for multiple user accounts with individual UI's, it's ridiculous that Apple has failed to provide similar functionality for a similar device.

OP
O

OldBen25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with jsh1120. It's a shame Apple doesn't address the issue of allowing users on the iPad. I removed everything on my iPad that I didn't want the kids to have access to. Still, I have issues. The kids change and delete my contacts as well as get into me Quickoffice files. They have 28 games z& counting on my iPad. To think I have time to monitor the kids while playing these games is not reality. My only solution so far is to keep a good backup of my contacts & files, date each one when changed and try to catch deleted information. Unfortunately, some information may not be needed for months or even greater than a year. I may no longer have a good file available.

Most reactions

Latest posts