What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Location Services on IOS6 can't be turned off

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't turn off the Location Services on IOS6, all of the emblems being grey, it however being turned on for Maps and Find My iPad by default and can't be turned off unlike with the IOS5 software. I called the helpline, reinstalled the software, pressed the off and home button simultaneously as advised with no change. The tablet works fine apart from this issue.

My solution, based on online investigation, is that the Location Services cannot be turned off for Maps or Find My iPad by default but is not automatically turned on for other apps without permission. Is this correct or is there some software defect in IOS6? Thanks to all.

Th

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't reproduce this problem, so I don't think it's a bug in iOS 6.

Here's my screenshot.

image-2085982330.jpg

image-1229949798.jpg

OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Try: settings/privacy/location services OFF ?

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The problem is that it won't turn off. Touching the button has no effect.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it and had no problem turning location services on and off.
image-2792848868.jpg

image-4130126475.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AdmiralAdama said:
Did this start after you downloaded a new app (s)
that use location service or has it been happening since iOS 6 upgrade?

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

I first noticed it after the IOS6 upgrade. I have everything backed up to my PC and thought of deleting all the apps and seeing if the problem persists. But I also find that the new maps app can't be deleted and the problem may derive from it, so... None of the other apps uses the location service except for Find My iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check under Settings > General > Restriction. You can allow/disallow changes in your various privacy settings. The usual result of disallowing changes in Restrictions is for the affected settings to be grayed out.

You can not delete native apps, of which Maps is one.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Check under Settings > General > Restriction. You can allow/disallow changes in your various privacy settings. The usual result of disallowing changes in Restrictions is for the affected settings to be grayed out.

If you follow twerppoet's instructions and the screen looks like this, then you won't be able to turn off location services.

image-3628514954.jpg

OP
B

bookdoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

You are a GENIUS. You were right. It's OK now. I left the Location Service on only for the Find My iPad. Thanks much.

Most reactions

Latest posts