What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linux?

a.don.is

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
adonistech.wordpress.com
I have this "argument" frequently with my tech (mostly PC based) friends. They wanna bash iOS as not a true OS and the iPad as a toy or hyped up movie viewer. They dont see it as a viable work environment.

I do nearly everything on my iPad now. Blogging, web, watch video, etc. The only time i see myself falling back on my laptop is to download something or for some large scale typing, which will end once I decide on a blue tooth keyboard LOL

I would love Linux on the ipad. Especially if I could dual boot iOS/Lunix.

a.don.is

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this "argument" frequently with my tech (mostly PC based) friends. They wanna bash iOS as not a true OS and the iPad as a toy or hyped up movie viewer. They dont see it as a viable work environment.

I do nearly everything on my iPad now. Blogging, web, watch video, etc. The only time i see myself falling back on my laptop is to download something or for some large scale typing, which will end once I decide on a blue tooth keyboard LOL

a.don.is

To be blunt (and no offense intended) if you claim to be doing all your work on the iPad, you are clearly not doing a lot of anything.

Interestingly the examples you cited where: web, blogging, video. What does that job pay? Is there dental with the insurance package? :p

I have an iPad, I like using it, it's fun and convenient as long as I use it within its limitations, but that does mean using it as a "toy or hyped up movie viewer". Actually as a movie viewer its pretty lame, unless you're mad about portability (where it is unbeatable).

OK, I admit its more than a toy - hey you can now open office documents on iWork, if you don't mind mangling the formatting and not being able to backup (try installing iTunes on a company PC and see where that gets you).

But a "viable work environment"? Either you're dreaming or smoking Steve Jobs' old tennis shoes.

Running Linux on the iPad would be a dream for me (and would save my iPad from inevitable eBay listing as soon as decent tablet computers come out.

a.don.is

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
adonistech.wordpress.com
To be equally blunt, just because YOU have such a narrow perspective, dosent mean I should let your shortsighted view limit how I use my iPad, or anyone else for that matter.

Yes, my job does involve blogging, social media, videos, and such. Yes I can get the majority of what I need done ON MY IPAD. Don't hate on me because your job may suck lol. I'm sorry that you are trapped in that sarcastic little unimaginative box of whatever you do for a living, but if anyone is smoking something funny, it's you smoking that "denial stogie" that makes you feel like you can judgmentally dismiss and idea or concept that dosent fit your grey, boring world.

No offense intended :)

Profclean2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score

a.don.is

To be blunt (and no offense intended) if you claim to be doing all your work on the iPad, you are clearly not doing a lot of anything.

Interestingly the examples you cited where: web, blogging, video. What does that job pay? Is there dental with the insurance package? :p

I have an iPad, I like using it, it's fun and convenient as long as I use it within its limitations, but that does mean using it as a "toy or hyped up movie viewer". Actually as a movie viewer its pretty lame, unless you're mad about portability (where it is unbeatable).

OK, I admit its more than a toy - hey you can now open office documents on iWork, if you don't mind mangling the formatting and not being able to backup (try installing iTunes on a company PC and see where that gets you).

But a "viable work environment"? Either you're dreaming or smoking Steve Jobs' old tennis shoes.

Running Linux on the iPad would be a dream for me (and would save my iPad from inevitable eBay listing as soon as decent tablet computers come out.

Ok I have been following this thread for some time now and finally decided that I should weigh in. First if you would like to run Linux on your iPad without having to install it (since that is impossible as of yet and maybe for some time) and without having to VNC into a machine you already have Linux on somewhere, providing you have a data connection AlwaysOn Pc is an AWESOME app. Firefox, open office, flash games and anything else you can dream of on your iPad. If I remember correctly I think it is red hat or fedora ios optimized distro. I use it all the time and it is great!!!!! So you can have Linux on your iPad so long as you have a data connection.

Moving on to my next gripe with the above quoted statement, I work in the highly competitive digital marketing vertical and I do almost ALL of my work from my iPad. Not just because I can but because I prefer it. If you get the keyboard dock it becomes very easy with no real learning curve. Now my iPad is jail broken and I have added all of the functionality I needed including multi-tasking, folders and flash....(via Frash and luckily Skyfire before it was pulled). The only thing I use my pc for now is Photoshop and a few video editing programs.

There are some great programs available for creating Microsoft documents with almost all of the functionality of the real deal. My favorite so far is Office HD, but when that doesn't do the trick I will fire up AlwaysOn Pc and get to work in Open Office and viola I can do anything with my iPad. I have tried to use Gimp (while in AlwyasOn) for digital editing however I have decided that to be a bit slow and painful.

I am wondering if grumpy pants even has an iPad. I'm just saying either he doesn't have one or does not realize it's full potential.

dkazaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@a.don.is
Firstly, no need to get nasty in response to a joke. I did say no offence intended, but I guess some people feel it's necessary, to defend their argument when they have nothing valid to say.

Secondly, my job (which does not suck, thanks:) ) is to identify and develop technology strategies for my company's clients - mostly corporates and private equity groups. I don't find my world grey or boring, but it is focused on the reality of the technology business, and it is mostly similar to what the majority of people working in an office environment do.

So believe me when I tell you that, while it's great that your job is about blogging and social media, it is a representative of only a tiny % of the jobs most people do. The majority of people working in office documents, need systems that can connect to corporate intranets (many of which still don't support wifi believe it or not), need to access a variety of business applications, the majority of which do not work on the iPad (even the web-based ones since ASP and Java are prevalent in that space). What's more, they need to do this fast, which means they need simultaneous access to these things constantly. All these things are difficult on the iPad, therefore slow and often impossible.

Now when I travel, I do sometimes leave my grey boring windows laptop at home and take my iPad. If I know I'll be in meetings all day, I only to check email and maybe read but not edit any documents. I wouldn't try to do real document creation on it since it's both hard and compatibility with other platforms is limited (e.g. all my presentations from keynote lose much of their formatting and need to be re-done on PowerPoint).

My point therefore, which you missed completely in you angst-driven obsession to defend your extremely open minded views, which represent such a huge portion of the world, is that just because you can use the iPad for work, doesn't mean most people can - they can't. And to call it a "viable work environment" is just silly. But you just carry on with that if you want. Reality will prove who's right. In a year's time, either people will walking around working on ipads, or they'll be walking around checking email and surfing on them, just like they do on their netbooks now.

@Profclean2000
My ipad is jailbroken too but if your argument is that people can use a hacked device plus remote desktop for everyday work, hence the iPad is a work platform... I don't know what to say! I guess I really didn't realize the potential of the device. Wow. I can see it now, millions of people on jailbroken ipads as thin clients to desktop systems... That's an awesome idea!:D

Ok, enough.

Delirium

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, my two computer went down this week. Logic board fried and yet unknown on the second. So what is left for a while is the htc desire (android) and the ipad. Since i'm brazilian in brazil, here jailbreaking is legally allowed and my ipad is jb'en.. Keynote presentations lack very few funcionality mainly playng videos, but with multitasking its pretty easy. The thing is, i still have problems with some asp servers, downloading and since my home network is down, alwayson is down.. So i decided on selling the ipad and buying the new macbook air. From what i think ipad is a great step on computing, but still lacking. The dependancy on desktop/laptop, no camera, need to jailbreak to get out of the pre-win95 enviroment (multitasking), and by my perspective, a 3.2 inch device justify the ios, but a 7 or 7+ inch device should have a full computing system.. So, althouggh the amazing battery life, almost no learning curve, lit weight, great graphics definition, my needs would be better attendend by the macbook air.. When a new pad enters the market with osx or linux (since no ios, no android too), i will go back to this..
Nice reading all your opinions on this. Learned a lot here and liked all the difference points of view..
Goodbye.. =)

a.don.is

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
adonistech.wordpress.com
"Firstly, no need to get nasty in response to a joke. I did say no offence intended, but I guess some people feel it's necessary, to defend their argument when they have nothing valid to say."

Well isnt that the "angst" filled pot calling the kettle black! Hilarious!

But agreed, enough on this topic. we shall have to find another with which to needlessly debate! LOL

ivarn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can see it now, millions of people on jailbroken ipads as thin clients to desktop systems... That's an awesome idea!:D

You don't have to jailbreak to use the iPad as a thin client.
No but to use it as an open OS you have to jailbreak it.
What I really hate about Apple is that they always have to lock their products just so people have to use iTunes and can only install apps from the app store. This is a huge problem to most people who prefer to customize their things and also if you don't have Windows installed on your pc.
Not to get off-topic but Apple should develop iTunes for Linux soon.
I mean, sometimes it just feels like they are asking people to jailbreak their products. I can see why they are doing this all the time, and now they are removing open source apps from their store. They don't care about happy customers. It's always about them damn money, isn't it?
Their iPad is an awesome device, but with their very locked OS it stops there I'm afraid.

Busta mante

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the real catch will be how to boot it into install mode. Supposedly the CPU is an ARM variant, so the basic support is most likely available but I bet the GPU support will not be.ipad 2 cases
leather ipad2 case
iPad2 casesMy guess is the it will need to be similar to the Android 5 install hacks where you have to gain access from a separate machine. Considering the iPhone OS, getting an SSH connection in is probably the best bet.

I'll have to disagree with the first post. Linux will probably never exist on the iPad.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I see this thread has gone to bed some months ago but I thought I would share a bit of what I have come across. As I am using Chromium OS (Vanilla) a build by hexxeh on my netbook and have been crawling around in those forums for many months, I came across this little morsel of iPad goodness. Humbly submitted FWIW, Meet our friend from Cupertino… - Hexxeh's Blog
ChromiumOS on Ipad.:p

Most reactions

Latest posts