What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Links on iPad not working

MrPaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am working on a website that has a few links to other sites. I test the links using a PC and my iPad. All is going well until today. I added a link to a YouTube page for live streaming. The link works on a PC, but not an iPad. I have tested on three iPads and all are the same. That is, I get an error message that says, "Invalid response received". The link has the form: YouTube
Anybody know how to fix this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While it is getting rare, some YouTube videos are not enabled for mobile; that includes the iPad. If you have an iPhone, or other smart phone, do the video work on it?

I’ve confirmed that the link you supplied does not work on my iPad and iPhone. I don’t have any other devices handy to try it on.

OP
M

MrPaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That link had a generic name in it. Here is a correct link that works on a PC, but not an Apple product.
YouTube

Edit: Just verified that the above link works on a PC, but not on my iPad. Error message on iPad is "invalid response received"

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. It doesn’t work when I spoof a desktop browser either. Are you sure you got the link right? I get a ‘channel does not exist’ error. And it seems unlikely that there is a channel named “YOUTUBECHANNELNAME”.

843B1512-5595-4494-B62F-E6B7652A1B6D.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just tried it on my iPhone 6 Plus and it worked, although the live stream was offline when I tried. I'm on iOS 12 beta. It also worked on my iPad Pro, which is also on iOS 12 beta.
Which iPads are you using and what iOS version(s) are they on?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. The new link does not work for me if I just tap on it; however, if I long-press on the reload icon in the URL bar and choose “Request Desktop Site” the page loads as normal. Long pressing on the link and choosing to open it in the YouTube app also works.

My guess is that it was never tagged as available for mobile devices, but the new YouTube apps no longer cares.

B4461D4B-29AB-4AB5-8E74-EB48EA828F68.png

OP
M

MrPaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using an iPad 2017 with IOS 11.4 and I still cannot get it to work. I tried long pressing the reload icon, but I do not get "request desktop site". Is this an issue only with my iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am using an iPad 2017 with IOS 11.4 and I still cannot get it to work. I tried long pressing the reload icon, but I do not get "request desktop site". Is this an issue only with my iPad?

If you have not doen so recently, try restarting your iPad. That’s all I can think of. The “Request Desktop Site” option should work even if it doesn’t fix the issue.

OP
M

MrPaul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I changed the website link and it is now working. Another issue is that I was not using Safari. However, both of my browsers are working now.
Thanks for the help.

Most reactions

Latest posts