What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lilghtning to 30 pin connector

g_ashish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently purchased an ipad air 2,

i came across a bargain on philips speaker dock for ipad/iphone, later i realised it has 30 pin connector whereas my ipad air2 has a 8 pin.

on searching online i found there are 8 pin lightning to 30 pin connectors available but most of them have reviews that they dont work for audio, they just work for charging..

any suggestions

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple's Lighting to 30 pin adaptors works fine for audio through to older speakers. I used one (the dongle version) to connect to my older speaker after getting my first Lighting connector iPhone.

The only real issue was that the adaptor did not let the iOS device sit solidly, the way the speaker dock was designed to work. That wasn't a major problem for the lighter iPhone, but I wouldn't have cared to use dock my heavier iPad that way.

Third party adaptors will vary both in what they pass through, and in their reliabilty. Research those carefully to be sure they do what you want. And it would be best to avoid the super cheap ones. Make sure that the manufacutere is licenced by Apple to make the adaptor.

OP
G

g_ashish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, thats wot my concern is, although the Philips dock has a back support for supporting ipad, the real issue is the reliability of third party dongle type connectors, reviews of most of them are -ve for audio, and frankly dont want to spent 3,500 rs on an apple original dongle.

any idea about any reliable third party products?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
thanks for the reply, thats wot my concern is, although the Philips dock has a back support for supporting ipad, the real issue is the reliability of third party dongle type connectors, reviews of most of them are -ve for audio, and frankly dont want to spent 3,500 rs on an apple original dongle.

any idea about any reliable third party products?

Hello - Apple really discombobulated the iDevice accessory industry by switching from the 30-pin to lightning adapter on its mobile machines - I have an excellent Sangean radio w/ a 30-pin iPad dock (shown below) - also bought a new iPad Air 2 w/ the same + more music - works great w/ BT speakers & headphones, but an adapter to the radio would produce an unstable situation and I'd have to buy or make some type of safety holder - NOW, I have used a mini-stereo cable from the iPad headphone jack to the radio w/ success, so an option, but of course will not simultaneously charge the iDevice.

Like TP, I have no specific adapter recommendations since I've not given any a try - Amazon is a good place to search since there are plenty of comments; many of these adapters receive poor reviews, especially the no brand 'cheepos' - also as already stated, stability of your iPad is crucial - the device may not only fall off the 'stand' but the lightning plug could break inside the dock - possibilities yes, but.... Good luck in your search - others w/ possible solutions may 'chime in - if you come up w/ some good ideas, please post back. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 3.23.22 PM.png

OP
G

g_ashish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
its one and the same thing.. any connector or cable, unless its original apple make, u cant be sure if it wud work, so the only way out is to by genuine adaptor which is too costly.. in this case even costlier than my philips dock..
lolz

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions