What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30 pin connector

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this yet. I have a 30 pin hdmi out cable from my iPhone but I'm reading reviews that the connector is garbage. Is this true?

Deanp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be nice if we could get the name of the HDMI cable and not all reviews are true, some are probably there to troll people.

D

talon90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course, we all know that Apple changed the port on the iPad 4 and iPhone5 to the 8 pin Lightning connector. As some one who was loaded up with accessories for my iPad 2, I have been doing some testing on the Lightning to 30 pin adapter with my older 30 pin accessories to try to learn what works and what doesn't with my iPad 4. What I know so far is this:

Camera connection kit - SD Card reader. - Works

The 30 pin SD Card reader works fine with the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. It behaves exactly as it did with the iPad 2.

Camera connection kit - USB reader. - Works

The 30 pin USB reader works fine with the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. It behaves exactly as it did with the iPad 2.

Also, as an aside I tried the USB reader with both a wired and wireless USB keyboard and they also both function as previously with the iPad 2 in that the error comes up stating that it isn't designed to work with this accessory and then the keyboard(s) function perfectly.

HDMI to 30 pin connector. - Does not work.

The HDMI to 30 pin connector does not function with the 8 pin Lightning to 30 pin adapter when attached to the iPad 4. This accessory would allow screen mirroring and video playback of the iPad 2 to my HDTV via HDMI cable connection.

VGA to 30 pin connector. - Does not work.

The VGA to 30 pin connector does not function with the 8 pin Lightning to 30 pin adapter when attached to the iPad 4. This accessory would allow screen mirroring and video playback of the iPad 2 to my HDTV via RGB / VGA cable connection.

Audio out and charging seem to basically be unaffected by the adapter. I can use all of the Apple and 3rd part 30 pin USB cables with the 8 pin to 30 pin adapter for computer connection, audio accessories (Bose Sound Dock) and charging (USB and AC adapter) without any problems. Video out seems to have changed dramatically with the advent of the Lightning port connector.

My little experiment, hope it helps someone.

Paul

OP
Mojosodope

Mojosodope

iPF Noob
Reaction score
talon90 said:
Of course, we all know that Apple changed the port on the iPad 4 and iPhone5 to the 8 pin Lightning connector. As some one who was loaded up with accessories for my iPad 2, I have been doing some testing on the Lightning to 30 pin adapter with my older 30 pin accessories to try to learn what works and what doesn't with my iPad 4. What I know so far is this:

Camera connection kit - SD Card reader. - Works

The 30 pin SD Card reader works fine with the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. It behaves exactly as it did with the iPad 2.

Camera connection kit - USB reader. - Works

The 30 pin USB reader works fine with the Lightning to 30 pin adapter. It behaves exactly as it did with the iPad 2.

Also, as an aside I tried the USB reader with both a wired and wireless USB keyboard and they also both function as previously with the iPad 2 in that the error comes up stating that it isn't designed to work with this accessory and then the keyboard(s) function perfectly.

HDMI to 30 pin connector. - Does not work.

The HDMI to 30 pin connector does not function with the 8 pin Lightning to 30 pin adapter when attached to the iPad 4. This accessory would allow screen mirroring and video playback of the iPad 2 to my HDTV via HDMI cable connection.

VGA to 30 pin connector. - Does not work.

The VGA to 30 pin connector does not function with the 8 pin Lightning to 30 pin adapter when attached to the iPad 4. This accessory would allow screen mirroring and video playback of the iPad 2 to my HDTV via RGB / VGA cable connection.

Audio out and charging seem to basically be unaffected by the adapter. I can use all of the Apple and 3rd part 30 pin USB cables with the 8 pin to 30 pin adapter for computer connection, audio accessories (Bose Sound Dock) and charging (USB and AC adapter) without any problems. Video out seems to have changed dramatically with the advent of the Lightning port connector.

My little experiment, hope it helps someone.

Paul

That did help looks like I'm shelling out the $50 for the lighting to Hdmi

Most reactions

Latest posts