What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lightning Cable Teardown Reveals Chip Details

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
8890-lightning-cable-teardown.JPG

9to5 Mac reports that Chipworks has performed an in-depth teardown of Apple’s new Lightning cable (I love that even Apple’s cables are interesting enough to warrant teardowns!), revealing that the cable contains a TI chip, “BQ2025†(as well as several others, of course!), which is a bit of a mystery, as it is not listed on TI’s website. Looking at four other similar chips that are listed on TI’s website, Chipworks surmises that the BQ2025 could have “some security implementationâ€. 9to5 Mac says that it is also possible that the chip is used by the Lightning connector as a way of conserving electricity, perhaps by only drawing the required amount of electricity to fully charge the device, and then stopping at that point. This could be why the iPhone 5 has been found to cost just 41 cents per year for a daily charge. Chipworks goes on to say that the Lightning cable is the first secure cable that it has seen with such a security device built in.

Source: TI chip in Lightning cable could allow iOS devices to save electricity when charging | 9to5Mac

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Despite the negativity associated with the cable change, I think Apple deserves some innovation points for the new lightning cable technology. The convenience it adds for users going forward should not be ignored.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not have a problem with only Apple selling the cables if they offered them in longer lengths and made them in black...I HATE white electronics and accessories.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would not have a problem with only Apple selling the cables if they offered them in longer lengths and made them in black...I HATE white electronics and accessories.

Me too, at least for cables and earphones/buds. they just stand out too much.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Munky said:

You're in a bit of a quandary then, considering the vast majority of accessories Apple makes for iDevices, other than cases and smart covers are white. Maybe they should offer black cables and other accessories for black iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts