What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leap Motion

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone here who knows anything at all about me will know that I am somewhat of a gadget freak so the Leap Motion was always going to like bling to a magpie for me!

What is Leap Motion? Well it's a control mechanism for your computer (no, not iDevices!) which should (eventually) free you from your mouse and other input devices. It allows you to manipulate what is on screen with hand gestures......just like you can manipulate the guy who cut in front of you on your commute to work with similar but less graceful hand gestures!

This video from T3 will give you a taste of what it can do

Currently the list of apps in the Leap Motion App Store is limited but it's new on the market so it isn't really a surprise. If the Leap Motion takes off you can expect to see the range of apps grow exponentially.

So, am I buying one? Well I have absolutely no need for this particular gadget at all which means yes, in all probability I'll send (the incredibly cheap price of) £70ish in beer tokens to Leap Motion so that I can add my support, as the old saying goes "use it or lose it"!

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It certainly does look interesting, Gabe! Very futuristic! You'll have to tell us how good the reaction time is on it and how far you can be from the device and still wave your hand like a music conductor! :)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It certainly does look interesting, Gabe! Very futuristic! You'll have to tell us how good the reaction time is on it and how far you can be from the device and still wave your hand like a music conductor! :)

From the videos it looks pretty much instant with about a 2' range for your hands. I think it's something that I'll buy, play with for about an hour then put on the shelf until some really amazing apps appear, but no one will develop those apps if no one buys the device.....it's all chicken and egg!

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
From the videos it looks pretty much instant with about a 2' range for your hands. I think it's something that I'll buy, play with for about an hour then put on the shelf until some really amazing apps appear, but no one will develop those apps if no one buys the device.....it's all chicken and egg!

The Archangel

I think this world be useful for people who have trouble striking keys on a keyboard or want to do would like to do a presentation without the use of hand gadgets to go to the next slide! I'll be very interested to see what you think of it when you get it!

Most reactions

Latest posts