What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LCD backlight bleeding?

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

On Engadget there's an article about buyers reporting LCD backlight bleeding.
How many have experienced this with their iPad 2?

I've got an iPad 1 and would like some feedback, in order to decide if I wait while they fix early production bugs, or if I buy right away

Thanks

tweeter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was something on our local news about it as well. Considering how many they sold in the last few days, there's no way that all would be 100% perfect. Usually you just hear from those who have a defective one, or are having some problems. I wouldn't get too worried just yet. But, that's just me.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Backlight bleeding - MacRumors Forums

There's a long thread about it.

It looks pretty bad on some, but for the most units I think it's a case of a minor flaw that you really only notice with the brightness turned up, a black screen displayed and the lights off. I don't test my gadgets like that, as long as I don't notice it in normal use I'll be good to go.

And some people have noted that the light bleeding they noticed even in those test conditions has gotten better over time so it could be a case of the glue drying. Apparently the glue that holds it together is clear and dries a solid color and blocks more light. Some who've exchanged have said the Genius Bar people at Apple Stores told them the same. But only time will tell if that's true.

In any case, unless you're in a rush to sell your iPad 1, I'd just wait a month or two. They're hard to find now and that will give time for any production bugs to get worked out.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem on mine. Very consistent black from edge to edge. I wish my 30" photo editing monitor looked this good. It's every bit as nice as my iPad 1 that had a great screen.

If you buy one that has a flaw, just return it for an exchange. I would buy one soon as the screens are causing slower production and they may start letting more flaws go through to catch up on inventory. The first batches are usually among the best because those are the units that will be evaluated and reviewed publicly by the early (vocal) adaptors.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts