What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just updated my iPad Pro (first gen) to 16.1. It took a little over an hour, about twice as long as usual. When it finally rebooted for the last time, it naturally asked for my passcode, but did not display a keyboard. Eventually, it timed out and went black, but when I pressed the Home button the keyboard appeared so I could sign in. Just a reminder to be patient and not freak out if things go strangely.
Well, I've done our Apple TV and both iPhones XRs to 16.1 - no problems - may wait a few days for our iPads - will wait longer before taking Susan's iMac to Ventura - Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Another new "feature": the cursed Game Center pestering me every time i launch a game, even though it's disabled in Settings. Any clue on making it stop?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So far, the only change I see is the extra-bold time on the lock screen. Is some Apple engineer in denial about his presbyopia?
Lanny - I've only upgraded my iPhone and noticed the 'thicker' font for the time - don't like either - for the iOS 'lock screen' options, MacRumors HERE has an extensive article on the subject - have not made any changes yet but the choices seem endless - :eek: Dave :)

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has announced that iPadOS 16 will be released on Monday, October 24th.
It is supported on these devices.
  • iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)
I updated my 5th Generation iPad (32 of 128 GB available) as well as my brand new Ultra Watch. Very happy with the watch update, much less so with my iPad. It seems slower, pages take longer to load and on long pages it seems to run out of memory towards the bottom of the scroll with a blank screen waiting for graphics and text to eventually fill. Once filled, scrolling upwards reveals the same problem, blanks waiting for previously seen test and graphics to re-appear. When compared to my original Air 2, which cannot be upgraded, the speed and handling differences are very apparent. Is my 5th Generation just too old?

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. It took two and a half days, but as of today things are working again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 15.7.1 for devices unable to run iOS/iPadOS 16.
There were also updates for macOS Monterey and Big Sur.

See information:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 15.7.1 for devices unable to run iOS/iPadOS 16.
There were also updates for macOS Monterey and Big Sur.

See information:
Well, did not really want to take out iPads to 15.7.1 with 16.1 available, SO took both devices to the LATEST and GREATEST - 😊 About 40 mins or so for each (Pro & 5th G Mini) but all seemed to go fine and both are working - not sure how many of the 'new' features I want to explore, i.e. was happy on the older version, but who knows? Dave :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I discovered an annoying new "feature" by accident yesterday: if you swipe upward from the lower-left corner of the screen, it makes a screenshot. Fortunately, this can be disabled in Settings.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I discovered an annoying new "feature" by accident yesterday: if you swipe upward from the lower-left corner of the screen, it makes a screenshot. Fortunately, this can be disabled in Settings.
Hi Lanny - well, I was just playing with the screenshot gesture feature - the swipe has to be rather specific, i.e. from the bottom of the left corner diagonally toward the top right corner - pic below shows what happens on one of my home screens - capture can be cropped and annotation tools used. Much more HERE. As stated, to 'turn off', go to Settings > General > Gestures and deactivate (or change) the corner ones. Dave :)
IMG_4389.PNG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Not new. It's been like that for at least one previous iPadOS version. I find it handy, myself. I take quite a few screenshots, and don't really care for the awkward double button push.

You can also say "Hey Siri, take a screenshot."

Swiping in from the right lower corner starts a quick note. Another handy feature, if you like it. And it can also be disabled if you don't.

Most reactions