What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Coming from Android devices, I wouldn’t consider Apple’s updates an annoyance, especially when it’s a security update. You get the update at the same time everywhere, immediately.

I still remember how it worked with my SGS 3:
In case Google released an Android update, you had to wait. If you were lucky, the update would get to Europe a few weeks after its official release date. Not every country got the update at the same time. Usually, Austria came quite late, after Poland, if memory serves right. You then had to wait for Samsung and your carrier to push the update to your device. That means an update could take from six weeks to 2 or 3 months here in Austria to get to your Android phone, if your device was eligible. My last Android stopped receiving updates after 2 years.

ITg33k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Coming from Android devices, I wouldn’t consider Apple’s updates an annoyance, especially when it’s a security update. You get the update at the same time everywhere, immediately.
Yup.

Or, put another way: Yes, they are kind of annoying. (Particularly WatchOS updates, which, on my Series 1, Gen. 2, take forever and a day.) But I'll gladly suffer the annoyance, compared to using an OS which, on many devices, sees updates only erratically--or not at all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple also released the following updates:
Safari 13.1.2 for macOS Mojave and High Sierra (this update is already included in macOS Catalina)
iOS 12.4.8 for iPhone 5s, 6, 6Plus, iPad Air, iPad mini 2 and 3, iPod touch (6th gen.)
watchOS 5.3.8
Xcode 11.6 for macOS Mojave 10.15.2 and later

Latest OS versions

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple released iOS and iPadOS 13.6, as well as watchOS 6.2.8, tvOS 13.4.8, and update for HomePod (13.4.8), macOS Catalina 10.15.6, and security updates for Mojave and High Sierra (2020-004).

Well, over 2 days, updated 8 Apple devices (2 laptops, 1 iMac, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, & an Apple TV) - all Macs & iDevices first backed up - when Big Sur comes out, apparently my 'early' 2013 MBPro will not be eligible and thus will stay on Catalina (which likely will have updates periodically for a while) - the laptop is working fine (and the battery is a replacement several years back so in great shape!) - when Apple starts releasing its 'Apple Silicon' ARM-based laptops (possibly this year or early 2021), I'll have to decide on a hardware upgrade (or not)? Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The following updates were released recently:
iOS and iPadOS 13.6.1 with bug fixes
macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update
iCloud for Windows 7 and later - 7.20
iCloud for Windows 10 and later - 11.3

Aerofly

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I’m running iPadOS14 Developer beta on my iPad Pro 11” and what I find surprising is that several high profile apps that I use have been updated in the last few days that now fail to run on the new iPadOS14?

I would have thought by now that with the official release of iPadOS14 and iOS14 not that far away now, any update by app developers for whatever reason, would at least run on the beta versions of iOS14.
This is why I held fire on updating my iPhone as I didn’t want to lose accessibility to my most important apps.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m running iPadOS14 Developer beta on my iPad Pro 11” and what I find surprising is that several high profile apps that I use have been updated in the last few days that now fail to run on the new iPadOS14?

I would have thought by now that with the official release of iPadOS14 and iOS14 not that far away now, any update by app developers for whatever reason, would at least run on the beta versions of iOS14.
This is why I held fire on updating my iPhone as I didn’t want to lose accessibility to my most important apps.
The developers are undoubtedly working to make their apps compatible with iOS and iPadOS 14. They’re working with the same beta that you’re on and the updates to make their apps compatible with the latest version of the beta software are not yet ready.

Querty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad had an update yesterday I wasn’t really paying attention as I was busy but I’m sure I glimpsed something about Covid 19 and no need for an app.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My iPad had an update yesterday I wasn’t really paying attention as I was busy but I’m sure I glimpsed something about Covid 19 and no need for an app.
That‘s correct:
97C4491B-A2FC-4DDF-A2F8-A98CD18A0857.jpeg

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ios14 went live last night, but with 5hrs download time, I waited until this morning. I have updated one iPhone so far, which took probably about 15/25 mins, to see what the immediate changes are. Most notably, for me, a few widgets seem to have gone (shortcuts and stocks, but they may be accessed differently.)
iPad next....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Updated everything but my watch. iPad Pro had a weird moment where it refused to admit it had a cellular account, but a reboot fixed that.

Widgets have changed, and not all legacy widgets will work. There are now two ways to add widgets.

The new way is to press the screen until everything starts to jiggle, then tap the (+) at the top left of the screen. I recommend reading up on how it works before starting, or you’ll be fumbling a bit.

Old way is still to use (Edit) at the bottom. You may have to scroll to the bottom of the widgets to see it.

I chose to delete all my old widgets and just use the new ones. The old interactive widgets have a limited shelf life. I figured I might as well get used to the new behavior now.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, just did my Apple TV, iPhone XR, and iPad Pro - fairly quick and no problems - now just have Susan's two iDevices. For those upgrading to iOS 14 (does NOT apply to iPadOS - maybe, hopefully, in the future?), one of the most important 'new' features is the App Library - take a look at the link if not familiar with this addition. Should be a 'boom' to those with numerous 'home screens' in which many are a mess, making finding apps a pain in the rear.

The 'App Library' will store all apps on your device in an orderly fashion - apps can be removed from the 'home screens' but remain on the device - probably will not help me much (I have just 2 home screens w/ a lot of specific folders), BUT my wife's iPhone is a mess of home screens, so I've already pointed her to the link above. Good luck w/ the new feature. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts