What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest OS versions - discussions

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve also noticed that I tap the Emoji key when I try to write numbers on my iPad Pro. The keys changed places with the update.

See my screenshot here:
Half sign on keyboard

And my current keyboard:
8C6973CE-76E2-4049-933B-8F545F2B4521.png

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks J.A, so it is not just me! - and you had a screenshot of the pre-12 layout. I hope it is corrected soon as some of the high capacity iPad users, e.g. financial traders, etc. using a lot of numbers, are going to be a bit upset by the confusion.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The location of the keys was not changed on my iPhone with the iOS 12 update. That means that the problem doesn't affect all users for whatever reason. On my iPad Pro, the buttons are reversed.
EA81536A-9B9C-4A33-8ADE-B927F47CF7A6.png

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that the problem may only be on the iPad.

My iPhone 8 is as it was.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Control Centre and ios12

I went to alter something on the Control Centre and I could not access it... The action has changed, so I thought that I would post it in case anyone else is confused. (From Apple)

Open Control Center. Swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen. On iPhone X or later or iPad with iOS 12 or later, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Re keyboard key comments above.

I just spotted the following elsewhere (iMore), where others have come across the same key change problem:
——-—-
‘It is curious that Apple flipped the locations of the number and emoji key placements when changing from portrait to landscape.’
———
This does not happen on my iPad air 2, but I thought that I would quote it in case it helps those with modern iPad pros, etc.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. Checked on my iPhone 8 and the key positions seem unchanged in both portrait and landscape.

Well I gather from the same source as above (iMore) that 12.1 is in dev beta.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. Checked on my iPhone 8 and the key positions seem unchanged in both portrait and landscape.

Well I gather from the same source as above (iMore) that 12.1 is in dev beta.
Correct. iOS 12.1 Developer beta 1 was released earlier today. I'm currently downloading it to my iPhone 6 Plus and will update my iPad Pro tomorrow.

Dakotapix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Control Center on ios12

Hmmm....I just tried this move and can say I don’t like it on the iPad. Most times swiping from the bottom up closes the app. Done carefully it works but it’s way too picky.

Edit: I did the swipe up on my iPhone 7 and this worked the same as the previous ios. Seems to be an I Pad problem.

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It doesn’t close the app down, but puts the app in the background so that they start again faster. (I am not sure what this does power-wise, but i think that they may be taking no power until you bring them to the front.)

To close an app totally swipe up slowly from left hand corner to get all open apps and then swipe up on apps you want to close fully.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new bottom screen behavior:

A quick short swipe up from the bottom returns you to the Home Screen.
A short swipe up with a pause brings up the dock.
A short swipe up and continue to the left or right will scroll between recently opened apps.
From the Home Screen you can bring up the last app by swiping up and to the right.
A longer swipe and pause goest to the multitask screen.

A little practice makes it easy.

Getting to the Home Screen is the quickest getsture. The general consensis is that either Apple is moving towards more consistant gestures accross all iOS, or they are preparing for the demise of the Home button on future iPads.

The iPhone X acts somewhat like this.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The new bottom screen behavior:

A quick short swipe up from the bottom returns you to the Home Screen.
A short swipe up with a pause brings up the dock.
A short swipe up and continue to the left or right will scroll between recently opened apps.
From the Home Screen you can bring up the last app by swiping up and to the right.
A longer swipe and pause goest to the multitask screen.

A little practice makes it easy.

Getting to the Home Screen is the quickest getsture. The general consensis is that either Apple is moving towards more consistant gestures accross all iOS, or they are preparing for the demise of the Home button on future iPads.

The iPhone X acts somewhat like this.
With iOS 12, you don't actually have to press the home button for anything. all you need it for is Touch ID.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With iOS 12, you don't actually have to press the home button for anything. all you need it for is Touch ID.

You didn’t really need it for gettling to the Home Screen in iOS 11 either. If you opened the multitask screen with the long swipe from the bottom, then tapped in the gray space between app previews you went to the Home Screen. But it wasn’t something Apple cared to call a feature.

Most reactions